+1

Question on stock 2004 XLT 1200 PV jetting?? anyone?

Hey Guys. I am drilling out the brass bungs on a stock rack of triple carbs on a 2004 Yamaha XLT 1200 PV engine (to obtain factory high and slow speed mixture screws) to add more fuel. Ski has a D plate & Chip , rebuilt carbs. low hour ski , still has oil pump and pretty much stock. I know they are a little lean in midrange but want to see if a little 1/4 turn on Hi and low mixture screws helps performance and reliablity. Ski tops out at 57mph on factory speedo and feels about that too. No faster.

Does anyone know after drilling out the brass bungs where the factory screws should be at?

My High speeds show Mag 1/2 out , Middle 1 out, PTO 0 out. does this sound correct?
    Anyone know the low speed settings as well?

Reason for my asking is. While I was drilling I want to be sure my drill didn't acidentally hit screw and turn it out more than factory specs so to give me a bum steer as to where they should be at. If you know what I mean. Thanks in advance guys.

+1
    If you hit the screw head with the bit you will turn it in farther, not out. Also you should see a nick in the top of the screw. The problem with adjusting the screws is that doesn't help you much in the most vulnerable place, the midrange.

3. +1 by:

WFO

+1
    i guess your right about the midrange maybe not being hit. I dont really want to do a re-jet as per Oside bills workings as its not my own ski.Although On my own I would definately do a rejet and pull off accelerator pump etc. I thought at least 1/16 out on each screw will be better than nothing?
    Dude how did you get your 04 XLT 1200 doing 68.5 mph - pretty sweet!

nz,

I went the same route as you are suggesting here but it doesn't help anything at all. You'll end up with a lumpy smelling stalling idle and a lagging top-end. The midrange isn't affected whatsoever by the L/H screws. In order to hit your target of the midrage you are going to want to change your springs, jets, N/S, filters, and everything at a minimum. It's all do-able.

Thread Information