This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

XL 1200 Oil tank lines

An old customer of mine purchased a couple of nice looking xl1200's 1999 model year...without having me inspect them first ( oops)

well he called me today to have a look at them ( he just moved about 1/2 mile down the road from my home, so being a good neighbor I did a house call)

one of the skis has quite a bit of injector oil in the hull..but the engine looked pretty fresh.( detailed actually)

as best I can tell ( the Yamaha 1200's are a fine example of how not to engineer a product for ease of service)

there is a line missing from the "T" connector which is connected to the vent on the oil tank..best I can tell from the manual and parts books is that it might be a return line from the oil pump.

can somebody clue me in on this?

He kinda freaked when I told him about the oil line failure problem and that inspecting this would require removal of the exhaust system.

I snaked my arm best I could and could find any dangling hose. The sister ski does have a hose leading to the oil pump area from that T that has anti abrasion wrap on it.

If it turns out this is a return line, I'll put more effort into finding the other end and maybe not have to pull the exhaust

+1
    I just pulled the exhaust from a 2002 gp800r to rebuild carbs . Split exhaust under glove box @ rubber coupler and at coupler prior to water box. Wicked easy. Only about 7/8 bolts/ nuts and a few hose clamps.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1200 stx-r View Post
    I just pulled the exhaust from a 2002 gp800r to rebuild carbs . Split exhaust under glove box @ rubber coupler and at coupler prior to water box. Wicked easy. Only about 7/8 bolts/ nuts and a few hose clamps.
    thanks,but that doesn.t help me at all. Most yamaha exhausts are far from wicked easy on the 1200 series

I.m looking for info on that mystery oil tank connection

+1
    vent line comes from oil pump, and "T"s into the vent on the top of the oil tank, and the other end goes up to a vent under the cowlings

+1
    thanks..that should explain the injector oil in the hull...why would the pump need a vent in the first place, except o purge air and we already have that...

I'll have to bend up some fishin wire and see if I can snag that vent hose ( assuming it's installed at all)..this one with the oil spill has been serviced previously. Oh joy. At least he left the zipties full lenth instead of cutting them into baby razors.

Looks like a tough reach to the oil pump with that honkin exhaust pipe in place.

Winter labor rates start tomorrow..so it'll be a little less of a wallet flattener

+1
    U pipe comes out easy on an XLT. You can remove it and leave the stinger in place

also make sure the lines havent come off one of the carbs... thats usually where the oil comes from... either that of the feed line on the bottom of the pump

+1
    That little bleed line is easy to get knocked off when messing around in that area (like installing a primer line for one). It also is easy to not get the little metal inside coupling set in place, it has a bulge on the end and fits into a ridge in that tee. The line will put a lot of oil in the hull over an hour or two of riding. Try reaching in from several places, I think I ended up locating it with a mirror and snagged it with a claw tool.
    The purpose of the line is a constant bleed to keep air purged out of the pump and the lines to the carbs.

Thread Information