Spark plug number..

What spark plugs are used in the SCIC 215??

I know a guy who does a ton of dynoing.. he might be able to suggest a higher performance spark plug! that could yeild some extra ponies..

Doo It Till It Hurts! holdnon72's Avatar

Here ya go...

The same plugs are used both in the Naturally aspirated and The SCIC models.
    NGK#DCPR8E gap size is: (.028 to .031)

no spark plug gives you extra ponies...

just better quality plugs last longer, burn more efficient, may give you smoother idle, may give you smoother acceleration, in a sound engine a good plug is less likely to foul...
    ie: Nippon Denso IXU24 Iridium plugs = stock 4Tec
    Nippon Denso IXU27 Iridium plug = modded ski, colder plug...PR...

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    no spark plug gives you extra ponies...

just better quality plugs last longer, burn more efficient, may give you smoother idle, may give you smoother acceleration, in a sound engine a good plug is less likely to foul...
    ie: Nippon Denso IXU24 Iridium plugs = stock 4Tec
    Nippon Denso IXU27 Iridium plug = modded ski, colder plug...PR...

Actually your wrong... I know someone who owns a reputable race shop who has dynoes TONS of race engines.. and Stock and moddified GSXR1000s and R1 yamahas pick up 2-3hp threw out the range just by adding NGK cr10ek spark plugs..

not saying this will work on any kind of engine.. but there are always performance to be gained somewhere..

I disagree, dyno tests can be very subjective with the many factors that are involved including ambient temp, air density, etc. You can put any spark plug in your ride that makes you happy, but you will never feel any difference. I've seen many people bring me all types of plugs over the years to install in their cars thinking they were suddenly going to find some instant peformance.

Matching the plug to the engine setup is important, but using superduper xtra powerplus magnums in a basicly stock engine is only going to make you faster because your wallet weighs less.

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    I disagree, dyno tests can be very subjective with the many factors that are involved including ambient temp, air density, etc. You can put any spark plug in your ride that makes you happy, but you will never feel any difference. I've seen many people bring me all types of plugs over the years to install in their cars thinking they were suddenly going to find some instant peformance.

Matching the plug to the engine setup is important, but using superduper xtra powerplus magnums in a basicly stock engine is only going to make you faster because your wallet weighs less.
    again.. i get this info, from an independent study not a spark plug company that is just trying to sell you a spark plug..

Yes a crooked dyno operator could change the ambient air temp to make you think you gained HP.. but i assure you this didnt happen... Ive had two different people confirm this... but im not saying there is a perfect plug for our boat engines.. as it could be possible that they are already tuned to the max..

One of the guys who did this first was a Motorcycle Drag company who both builds and dyno tunes motorcycles and snowmobiles..

We will have to disagree, I have been in the auto repair business for over 20 years and like I said, I've heard all the snake oil stories. Don't take my word for it, read what NGK has to say about it:

6. Using "Racing" Spark Plugs

Be cautious! In reality, most "racing" spark plugs are just colder heat ranges of the street versions of the spark plug. They don't provide any more voltage to the spark plug tip! Their internal construction is no different (in NGK's case, as all of our spark plugs must conform to the same level of quality controls) than most standard spark plugs.

There are some exceptions, though. Extremely high compression cars or those running exotic fuels will have different spark plug requirements and hence NGK makes spark plugs that are well-suited for these requirements. They are classified as "specialized spark plugs for racing applications". Some are built with precious metal alloy tips for greater durability and the ability to fire in denser or leaner air/fuel mixtures. However, installing the same spark plugs Kenny Bernstein uses in his 300+ mph Top Fuel car (running Nitromethane at a 2:1 air/fuel ratio and over 20:1 dynamic compression) in your basically stock Honda Civic (running 15:1 a/f ratios with roughly 9.5:1 compression) will do nothing for you! In fact, since
    Kenny's plugs are fully 4 heat ranges colder, they'd foul out in your Honda
    in just a few minutes.

NGK as a company tries to stay clear of saying that a racing spark plug (or ANY spark plug) will give you large gains in horsepower. While certain
    spark plugs are better suited to certain applications (and we're happy to counsel you in the right direction) we try to tell people that are looking to "screw in" some cheap horsepower that, in most cases, spark plugs are
    not the answer.

To be blunt, when experienced tuners build race motors, they select their spark plugs for different reasons: to remove heat more efficiently, provide sufficient spark to completely light all the air/fuel mixture, to survive the added stresses placed upon a high performance engine's spark plugs,
    and to achieve optimum piston-to-plug clearance.

Some of these "specialized racing plugs" are made with precious metal alloy center/ground electrodes or fine wire tips or retracted-nose insulators. Again, these features do not necessarily mean that the spark plug will allow the engine to make more power, but these features are what allow the spark plug to survive in these tortuous conditions. Most racers know screwing in a new set of spark plugs will not magically "unlock" hidden horsepower.

Source: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...ode=nml#racing

Thread Information