Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New fzr owner with mod question

I purchased a 2013 Yamaha FZR with about 16hrs on it this past summer and absolutely LOVE it coming from an Ultra 150. I currently have the following mods
    -Riva Intake
    -Riva Through Hull Free Flow Exhaust
    -R&D Intake Grate
    -R&D R3 Reflash
    -Intake Spacer
    -Ribbon Delete
    -Jims modified ride plate on order
    -Anti Cavitation Cone
    -Stock prop repitched 12/17 I THINK?
    71.8 mph on iPhone GPS
    8400 RPMS

My main concern is having the correct supporting modifications for a fast reliable ski. I do not plan on upgrading the supercharger wheel for a little while and wanted to focus on cooling. Is an intercooler necessary to have with the R3 tune? Cooling kit? Also, without upgrading the wheel will i see much gain in adding an IC?

I am sure their is a lot of info out their but I have not seen much directly relating to my modifications. Any help is much appreciated!

+1
    Yes if you are going to run an R3 reflash you should use a bigger intercooler the stock one will not be enough. And yes with the stock wheel and a R3 you will see gains..
    Quote Originally Posted by mhagley View Post
    I purchased a 2013 Yamaha FZR with about 16hrs on it this past summer and absolutely LOVE it coming from an Ultra 150. I currently have the following mods
    -Riva Intake
    -R&D Intake Grate
    -R&D R3 Reflash
    -Intake Spacer
    -Ribbon Delete
    -Anti Cavitation Cone
    71.8 mph on iPhone GPS
    8400 RPMS

My main concern is having the correct supporting modifications for a fast reliable ski. I do not plan on upgrading the supercharger wheel for a little while and wanted to focus on cooling. Is an intercooler necessary to have with the R3 tune? Cooling kit? Also, without upgrading the wheel will i see much gain in adding an IC?

I am sure their is a lot of info out their but I have not seen much directly relating to my modifications. Any help is much appreciated!

+1
    I would see what the new ride plate from Jim does to your speed. IMO your setup with the plate, even with the stock intercooler, should be good for 76-77. Add an intercooler and get the prop right and you are talking 79-80.

4. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    I would see what the new ride plate from Jim does to your speed. IMO your setup with the plate, even with the stock intercooler, should be good for 76-77. Add an intercooler and get the prop right and you are talking 79-80.
    Wow, i did not realize a ride plate would promote those type of gains! What would you suggest the prop set up change to? I like a good mid-top end acceleration as i do not hit it from a dead stop much. I just want the ski to run healthy as my Ultra was a nightmare. The motor seized at 53hrs! I suppose I will do the new fizzle IC as soon as those units come out. James said a couple weeks!

Thanks for the help

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Wow, i did not realize a ride plate would promote those type of gains! What would you suggest the prop set up change to? I like a good mid-top end acceleration as i do not hit it from a dead stop much. I just want the ski to run healthy as my Ultra was a nightmare. The motor seized at 53hrs! I suppose I will do the new fizzle IC as soon as those units come out. James said a couple weeks!

Thanks for the help
    Ya a VX rideplate from Jim is an easy 3mph, some people see more gains depending on other mods. I netted 3.4mph from my VX plate from Jim over the stock FZR plate.

Not 100% sure on the prop. With the stock SC you could probably get away with a repitched stock prop, but I'm sure other members reading this thread will have some input. For reference, I run a skat 13/20 in my FZR with stock boost at 7700rpm (7650 in the heat of the summer).

+1
    ADD a pump tunnel reinforcement cover to your list of mods. Tommy Jordan

8. +1 by:

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    You don't need a cooling mod. I barely get to 150* in the summer time if you were in Ca,Fla,Tx, or AZ or some where where conditions are always hot then cooling is a must

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    A Intercooler is a must

+1
    MikeFZR is right, many of us have found that the VX ride plate is a nice bang for your buck.

+1
    -Riva Intake
    -R&D Intake Grate
    -R&D R3 Reflash
    -Intake Spacer
    -Ribbon Delete
    -Anti Cavitation Cone
    71.8 mph on iPhone GPS
    8400 RPMS

You will pick up a couple of mph with a good intercooler and your rpms will pick up a couple hundred which will work great and needed especially during the hot summer months. My buddy ran than same set up without an intercooler and vx plate and ran 76 mph at 8600. Pitch was like a 13/17 stock prop. I had an intercooler (generation l style)no wheel and modded vx plate and ran 78.7 in salt water.

13. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information