Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Thanks For the Info

Thanks for all the info on CDI and Stator testing. Just fixed a 2000 SLH no Spark problem. I was able to identify the type of CDI and Stator I was working with and trouble shoot My problem efficiently. All-thou I dont exactly know how I fixed it ....I did (think I wiggled the right wire) I was not getting 8v from CDI brn wire

+1
    Spoke to soon? Came in today and sure enough No Spark! First I checked the battery 12v then checked Brown CDI wire 0v... but for some reason after randomly unplugging the red Stator wire I got spark even after I plugged it back in ARRRRRGGGGG. I guess I'm going to check again tomorrow and see if I get the same results

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahadoo View Post
    Spoke too soon? Came in today and sure enough No Spark!

First I checked the battery 12v then checked Brown CDI wire 0v... but for some reason after randomly unplugging the red Stator wire I got spark even after I plugged it back in ARRRRRGGGGG. I guess I'm going to check again tomorrow and see if I get the same results
    Battery is never at 12 volts when cranking. Cranking voltage is the only voltage that matters.

I suspect that your rummaging amongst the wires inside the electrical box may be part of what is happening. Unplugging a certain wire always means jiggling around many others.

It also means a delay while you work on it, during which time the battery may be able to 'recover' just enough to provide spark while cranking.

+1
    Thanks I agree, I used a battery load tester (Toaster) and got the voltage to come down to below 10v at cdi and still have spark. So its probably a bad connection. However I am wondering if the cdi could be holding the kill circuit closed, I am going to leave my meter hooked to the brown wire and the black yellow unplugged and check in the AM.

+1
    Thanks I agree, I used a battery load tester (Toaster) and got the voltage to come down to below 10v at cdi and still have spark...
    How accurately are you measuring these voltages?

+1
    Spoke to soon? Came in today and sure enough No Spark! First I checked the battery 12v then checked Brown CDI wire 0v... but for some reason after randomly unplugging the red Stator wire I got spark even after I plugged it back in ARRRRRGGGGG. I guess I'm going to check again tomorrow and see if I get the same results
    Is the CDI red/pur plugged in with the other red/pur wires ?
    Or is it routed to the orange terminals ?

Some of these CDI's had trouble "waking up ". If you unplugged power/ground it would reset.

+1
    @ K477 I am using a Fluke auto range. no decimal point. I think I have ruled out battery voltage as the cause

@ Casey67 it is plugged into the red/pur group and I guess thats always 12v hot. What wire wakes up the CDI? Grey?

+1
    Correct-the red/pur is always hot.
    The orange is switched on/off when cranking/running.

Polaris had a TSB to install a jumper wire directly from the red/pur CDI wire to the orange terminals. (all other red/pur need to stay in place for batt power)

I do not know what wakes it up-it seems more like the CDI just stays in sleep mode-Polaris simply turns on/ off power to the CDI to reset it.

+1
    @ K477 I am using a Fluke auto range. no decimal point. I think I have ruled out battery voltage as the cause...
    I don't know what model Fluke multi-meter you are using, but all of mine show DC voltages to two decimal points.

I usually don't care about the hundredths of a volt precision, but these 'domestic' PVL CDI are sensitive to tenths of a volt whenever the cranking voltage is under about 11.0 volts. At the CDI you need to have at least 10.6 volts and preferably a little more to ensure reliable starting.

+1
    Update, Today I came in and hit the start button and had spark for 1 sec then nothing. Whats funny is nothing was moved or touched, So I checked the cranking voltage it was 12 v static and 10 v cranking... thinking this was the problem I charged the battery with no result. Then I thought maybe I have voltage but not enough Amps, So buy using a test light I discovered that I had a poor/weak connection at the red/pur wire. I could wiggle the red/pur at the circuit breaker and get a different light/tone pulling amps through the test light. I admit this was one of the first things that was mentioned on the trouble shooting guide but I missed it because I trusted my meter reading. So as of now it is working again

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information