Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Should I cross over???

Well guys, I have not purchased a new ski from the dealer since 1997, and I have the fever. I have always owned Yamaha 2-strokes, with the exception of my GPRXP. The problem I see, is EVERY manufacturer now days has issues! I had two good summers with my GPRXP, but the metal washers let go and the shaft broke, some how the supercharger wheel escaped unhurt, but the flywheel is toast. Even bone stock supercharged 4-tecs have supercharger issues.

Yamaha has clutch issues with their superchargers and I think the nanoxcel hull is the weakest of all the brands. I feel Yamaha and Sea-Doo are both ticking time bombs regarding there supercharger set up.

So here we have the Kawasaki, which definetly has the best supercharger set up as far a reliability is concerned. It's the heaviest, probably has the strongest hull and puts out the most boost stock out of any of the brands. One concern I have is why on earth are they using cast pistons??? I feel they have addressed the issues they had with the 250/260 with the GIO, but cast pistons on 16psi of boost seems retarded. I realize this ski will never run over 75mph reliably, and my goal if I was to buy a 2014 FZR would be 75-77, so not an issue for me. The lake I often ride at gets rough and I would not have to worry about my damn clutch breaking If I went with the Kawi. For the price they are asking for the 310, it should come with forged pistons.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by 97GPSLEEPER; 12-18-2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

Banned User
    +1
    I think you would be happy with the 310 (and I came from a big bore GPR as well) or even a left over '13.5 300, especially if your lake gets rough with all the traffic. Yes, forged pistons are stronger, but piston failures are essentially unheard of with these skis. If you were running significantly higher rpm than stock it might be a concern, I'm only turning about 7800 rpm with the Solas prop

+1
    I am digging the looks of the red on black 310X SE.

4. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    310 is the best looking ski on the water imo, although the blue/black FZR isn't bad either

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    75mph ultra is a safe reliable stock engine setup..

So donr worry about that bit

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    75mph ultra is a safe reliable stock engine setup..

So donr worry about that bit
    I have always cracked up at your avatar pics!

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    There are guys running much more than 17psi on stock pistons with no problems, that's the last thing to worry about.

Sean

+1
    Brandon, trust me pistons are not an issue. I am even still running OEM pistons on my race ski. If you are concerned get a 300 and swap out the pistons for less than the 310. And as far as speed, you know who to talk to about that. That guy will help you with anything if you get a Kawi. Hahaha. If you want to spend some time on mine before buying we will get together.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    Brandon, trust me pistons are not an issue. I am even still running OEM pistons on my race ski. If you are concerned get a 300 and swap out the pistons for less than the 310. And as far as speed, you know who to talk to about that. That guy will help you with anything if you get a Kawi. Hahaha. If you want to spend some time on mine before buying we will get together.
    I actually called you yesterday, but it went straight to voicemail. I figure you are working. I guess pistons are not an issue. Thanks for the replies guys.

+1
    97GP-If you always have access to 91 octane fuel and know how to fix things or have connections to good techs, I would get the Ultra. I bought the STX-15F because of hull and supercharger issues on my Yamahas and it's a great boat but I miss the kick of the supercharger.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information