Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Best transom plate sealant for FZR?

I just finished installing Jorge's pump tunnel reinforcement with Six10... once that cures I'm pulling the pump and transom plate. I'm going to fill the transom plate voids with epoxy (leftover six10) and reseal it to the hull per Jerry's advice. I was going to use 3M 5200 standard cure black sealant, but I saw mention on search by some that the "right stuff" was a stronger seal than even 5200. I just wanted to check, because I do not want to have to do this over.

i done the same thing to my vxs transom plate and used 5200 white standard cure and have had no problems even though there may be better stuff out there...mine was off by just a lil bit from factory according to allignment marks...after i got transom plate off and filled the voids with epoxy i dry fitted the transom plate,positioned it exactly where i wanted it and screwed it into place...then took back off and applied the 5200 and reinstalled with the 2 screws so it would go right back on where i initially dry fitted it...i done it this way because once you put the 5200 on and go to mount it that stuff oozes out and you cant see your allignment marks...not to mention it likes to move around on ya to while trying to set with a good bead of 5200....end result it goes exactly where i wantted it to go and after its bolted down remove the 2 screws and fill holes with 5200 or just leave them in place as they dont hurt a thing...just a lil trick i learned

+1
    5200 fast cure for transom plate. Lots of threads about this and how to's
    Right Stuff will work to. Used this on my SeaDoo transome and plate. Seems like SeaDoo guys prefer Right Stuff and Yamaha guys prefer 5200. Both should work just the same.

Banned User
    +1
    The only thing to keep in mind with 5200 is that its near impossible to remove if you need to. Other than that its amazing stuff.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    The only thing to keep in mind with 5200 is that its near impossible to remove if you need to. Other than that its amazing stuff.
    I just pulled mine that was sealed with 5200. Came off easier than you may think. Some heat with a torch used on the inside of the transom plate and a screw driver used as a pry at the bottom rear corners and comes out. With the right stuff, not sure how it would act with heat. The right stuff melts allowing some give.

+1
    Notice: When you ar sealing the transom you MUST sand the hull aera and transom plate where the sealer goes extreamly good ( I used 80 grit sand paper ) for the sealer to bond! Just scratching it up lightly won't get it good enought to bond to plate or hull. Tommy Jordan

7. +1 by:

+1
    Will do I've got plenty of 40 and 80 grit material leftover from the pump tunnel. I'm going to stick with 5200. I have standard cure, because I wanted black and I probably won't be putting it in the water until March. Thanks guys.

+1
    I use 3M 5200 on my transom plate and also do as Tommy said, rough the hull up with some 80 grit and then I come back with some aceetone and clean off both the hull and the transom plate. Make sure everything is good and clean before sealing.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I just pulled mine that was sealed with 5200. Came off easier than you may think. Some heat with a torch used on the inside of the transom plate and a screw driver used as a pry at the bottom rear corners and comes out. With the right stuff, not sure how it would act with heat. The right stuff melts allowing some give.

All I know is I have torn off glass trying to remove things held on with 5200. But its good to see there is success in using it. If it works, by all means......do it!!!! 5200 is good stuff!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    I use 3M 5200 on my transom plate and also do as Tommy said, rough the hull up with some 80 grit and then I come back with some aceetone and clean off both the hull and the transom plate. Make sure everything is good and clean before sealing.
    What he said.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2162742

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information