Virage, runs rough stalls when warm

2002 Virage TXI 1200. The engine will start and run ok when cold. Cold engine not cold ambient temp. (its 80 deg. here). As the engine warms up it begins to run worse. Engine rpms drop and it will not rev up. It will eventually stall and not restart until cooling off. When it really runs bad the red warning lamp will start blinking on the MFI. I have tried to pull codes using the led method but I can only get the led to light up steady, no flashing. I have triple checked the connections and procedure. No luck. The fuel pressure is about 26 psi. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Banned User
    +1
    I wonder if the EMM cooling line is blocked and the EMM is overheating?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by intrigue3800 View Post
    2002 Virage TXI 1200. The engine will start and run ok when cold. Cold engine not cold ambient temp. (its 80 deg. here). As the engine warms up it begins to run worse. Engine rpms drop and it will not rev up. It will eventually stall and not restart until cooling off. When it really runs bad the red warning lamp will start blinking on the MFI. I have tried to pull codes using the led method but I can only get the led to light up steady, no flashing. I have triple checked the connections and procedure. No luck. The fuel pressure is about 26 psi. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Welcome

The TPS also warms up as the engine gets warm. A bad TPS can cause all sorts of weird problems and it is not-uncommon for the TPS to go bad. It is a good idea to have a spare TPS on hand as there is no work around for a bad TPS.

Be sure to buy a new TPS, not a used one or one from very old inventory.

The simple LED code reading method may not work on all EMM but often I have found that it takes some practice to get the sequence and timing just right. Were you using the old TPS to sequence the code reading or a switch?

When the red warning light appears what is the message on the display? Check Engine or something else?

Thread Information