Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Loosing coolant

Loosing coolant

Hi all I have a 06 RXT, every time I use this ski I notice the coolant level droping about 3/8 of an inch. The obvious answer is there is a leak at a hose or somewhwere on the engine. Whilst it is hard to see every inch of the engine my ski is spotless in the bilge and such a leak of bright green coolant would easy to see in the bilge and there is nothing. I have pressure tested the cooling system about 3psi removed spark plugs no signs of head gasket. I believe only sea water passes through intercooler. I wonder if i have a crack or leak in the ride plate and im loosing coolant there. Any thoughts.
    Steve

+1
    Have you recently changed the antifreeze? Sometimes when you do, it will drop a little just after a few rides purging all the air out of the system... If not, the ride plate could be possible leak source, but it would be a noticeable drip if it were bad enough. You could look around the intake grate for your leak as it is bolted to the front of you ride plate or around the pump area also.

+1
    3/8 of an inch isn't that much.
    I'd just keep an eye on it and refill when necessary.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tran_eng View Post
    Hi all I have a 06 RXT, every time I use this ski I notice the coolant level droping about 3/8 of an inch. The obvious answer is there is a leak at a hose or somewhwere on the engine. Whilst it is hard to see every inch of the engine my ski is spotless in the bilge and such a leak of bright green coolant would easy to see in the bilge and there is nothing. I have pressure tested the cooling system about 3psi removed spark plugs no signs of head gasket. I believe only sea water passes through intercooler. I wonder if i have a crack or leak in the ride plate and im loosing coolant there. Any thoughts.
    Steve
    My bet would still be on the head gasket if you can not find anything obvious. Do you do much of your riding at WOT?

5. +1 by:

+1
    Hey mate i have posted a thread on ozpwc forum about this..I have a 2012 rxpx 260 that has been losing coolant , i put the over flow hose on the bottle into an empty drink bottle and have found i was losing 100ml every two hours of ridding. It has been to the dealership a fewtimes and they replaced the ride plate, then the coolant bottle as they said it was disstorted. But after all this its still the same and i noticed black specs in the bottle when i poored the coolant back in . So im now thinking its a head gasket or a cracked head. My dealership will not be happy when they open in the new year . Good luck.

+1
    Head gasket mate!

8. +1 by:

+1
    Ah ha ha thanks paul. Yeah wait till i see that mechanic , especially when i say i told you so.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucka View Post
    Hey mate i have posted a thread on ozpwc forum about this..I have a 2012 rxpx 260 that has been losing coolant , i put the over flow hose on the bottle into an empty drink bottle and have found i was losing 100ml every two hours of ridding. It has been to the dealership a fewtimes and they replaced the ride plate, then the coolant bottle as they said it was disstorted. But after all this its still the same and i noticed black specs in the bottle when i poored the coolant back in . So im now thinking its a head gasket or a cracked head. My dealership will not be happy when they open in the new year . Good luck.

So it's coming out the overflow then? I'm guessing at some point the ski overheated??? Those black specs are a sure sign of a bad HG IMO. Sometimes from the engine cooling jacket coating which flakes off after a nice cooking. Could also be bits of HG but that's extreme IMO.
    You could probably cruse around all day with no issues and lose no coolant, as soon as you pull some full throttle runs it will start to spew.
    Needs to be fixed before it causes other issues. If you have had an overheat at some stage make sure they deck the head to ensure its true.

Seems weird that they would replace the whole ride plate, unless they actually found it to be faulty? But I'm just a Plumber, you would think the dealer would know better!

11. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayers View Post
    So it's coming out the overflow then? I'm guessing at some point the ski overheated??? Those black specs are a sure sign of a bad HG IMO. Sometimes from the engine cooling jacket coating which flakes off after a nice cooking. Could also be bits of HG but that's extreme IMO.
    You could probably cruse around all day with no issues and lose no coolant, as soon as you pull some full throttle runs it will start to spew.
    Needs to be fixed before it causes other issues. If you have had an overheat at some stage make sure they deck the head to ensure its true.

Seems weird that they would replace the whole ride plate, unless they actually found it to be faulty? But I'm just a Plumber, you would think the dealer would know better!
    +1
    Agree 100%

+1
    Maybe he just wasnt sure and went the cheaper option or easiest. The mechanic is a good bloke but just wouldnt except that it was the head gasket as he said these dont usually go. Also how could the ski overheat anyway ?. Was always in the water and flushed for only 1minute. Temp would always start at 86c upto 90c at wot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information