Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1

2013.5 300x vs 2011 300x

I've put a few hours on my 13.5 300x and I thought I'd share a few things with you.

First, it feels a little softer. Less twitchy. Better in the rough as it feels like it doesn't want to chuck you off as much, but feels slightly heavier in smooth water.

Holeshot and acceleration feels quicker.

It's as fast as a modded 300x (even though it is only delimited). With the heat all the skis were slower, I only did 70.8mph (mostly full of fuel and not perfectly smooth water). In colder weather I'm sure we'll pick up a couple of mph at least, probably more (temp was 35C/95F).

Now, this is the big difference. I've been experiencing loss of power after unhooking. I thought this was the limiter kicking in, but now that the ski is delimited, I don't think it is that. It seems to be a different tune when the ski unhooks (unloads). It doesn't seem to smack the limiter like my 2011. It seems like it hits a soft limiter and reduces power when load comes off the engine. The problem is power doesn't return quick enough so you get a noticeable slow down. I suspect the 310x is the same, in which case a delimited won't fix that either.

It seems the ECU Part numbers are different too. 2011 is 21175-3744 where as the 13 is 21175-0817.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Am I imagining stuff or is there really a different tune on the 13.5?

Cheers, Mal.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    I wish I could tell you for sure what the tune looks like but I have not been able to connect to the 300 ecus. Have you tried plugging the other ecu in just to see? There is some interesting stuff going on in the newer ecus though I can say that for sure. Kawasaki was running a factory 250x ecu on their gp boat which had a supercharger and a turbo on it. The tune wasnt factory obviously but it was a factory ecu.

Sean

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Yeah I was thinking about that, but I'd really need to check to make sure all the sensors etc are the same before I just plug it in.

I'll ride the '11 and '13 back-to-back in the next few days to make sure I'm not imaging it.

Where is meangreenman, he normally knows the answers to these tough questions.

Cheers.

+1
    Don't quote me but from a rumor I heard it is a control in the new ecu's where it notices a spike. It is a kind of traction control like in vehicles . It notices the unhook and reduced the power there rather that at the limiter where we would hit in the past. It will also notice it in the hole shot. This will make it feel like a harder hit but it is just a smoother hit is what it is. This is what is causing your noticable slowdown is that it needs to know it has rehooked and the pump was loaded up so it can restore power. Just like your traction control in your vehicle does not reapply power until it knows the tired caught traction. From what I heard. I will not confirm that this is a fact just what I was told.
    All the MFG are putting this into their tune and is just a thing of the future to keep the engine from banging the limiters.
    When you put your 11 ecu into the 13 you will see the handling is just like the 11.
    Last edited by lasportsmn; 12-22-2013 at 03:35 AM.

+1
    You should be able to just plug n play the ecu from the 11 and find out.
    I never heard of any issues with swapping them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanytoys View Post
    Yeah I was thinking about that, but I'd really need to check to make sure all the sensors etc are the same before I just plug it in.

I'll ride the '11 and '13 back-to-back in the next few days to make sure I'm not imaging it.

Where is meangreenman, he normally knows the answers to these tough questions.

Cheers.
    I heard from a birdie that he is very busy these days.

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    You should be able to just plug n play the ecu from the 11 and find out.
    I never heard of any issues with swapping them.
    There are some new systems but I "think" you can swap. The gauge is different which would be the issue. I may be wrong so ill verify.

Sean

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Your impressions are correct. The 310 feels the same.
    I cannot speak to specificity but SD has had this in there ECU for a long time now to protect the engine/sc form surge on hook/unhook. This was one reason why the Kawi was so much better in rough and why belt is a superior method of transmission with consideration to rough water.
    I do not know if Yams have this or not.
    It is for preservation of the engine I would guess as there have only been a less then a handful of Eaton SC failures I am aware of.
    The handling is better but I do not know if average speed is affected over distance but I suspect it may.
    I think GL's explanation/comparison to traction control is an excellent one.

9. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    Don't quote me but from a rumor I heard it is a control in the new ecu's where it notices a spike. It is a kind of traction control like in vehicles
    Makes sense and backs up the article - very much like traction control on the ZX-10R. Not sure if I like too much electronic gadgetry on my ski at wide open throttle though

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fcr100098 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    Don't quote me but from a rumor I heard it is a control in the new ecu's where it notices a spike. It is a kind of traction control like in vehicles
    Makes sense and backs up the article - very much like traction control on the ZX-10R. Not sure if I like too much electronic gadgetry on my ski at wide open throttle though
    There were rumors about using the 260 electronics on the 300 when the 300 first came out. This was to do away with the speed limiter and the throttle by wire. Obviously you need a different tune but its possible as the sensors are the same.

Sean

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information