Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Full Throttle or Broke!!! UNSANE's Avatar
    +1

Garmin VIRB Elite (bought one)

I guess one could call this a review. Bought a camera, mounted it on my conversion. After a few issues with gps tracking data not matching up with the video, Garmin worked on the issue and actually released 2 software updates in one day. Now all is well. I've also asked how accurate the numbers are and they assure me that they're accurate, as it has the same transponders all of their main units do, but I'm still doubting some of the numbers. Right now, my ski is slamming into the rev limiter and by that I mean it feels like someone hit the brakes. I know the ski is running up to a certain speed then pulling back. But I'm not confident it's running up as high as the numbers state. I tried to compare these numbers against my 8 year old 76csx and was told the 76 gathers data every 50 feet and the VIRB gathers every 9 feet. The 76 was reading 89.9. I was told the camera gps is more accurate...
    The camera and its software is easy to operate and you have several options on how to display the data. The camera's viewfinder is easy to see in the sunlight, but actually harder to see indoors. It was designed for outdoor use. And because the VIRB elite has gps functions, you can switch the display to view speed, compass, altitude, plus a couple of others.

When the Hydrodrags comes around, I am going to be looking to put this camera on a Speed Alley ski to film it and compare its numbers against radar.

Here's a test video from today.

+1
    Wow

What's the feet measurement for?

+1
    Wow. That's pretty cool! 2-3 g's in acceleration ? That's a big hit and the numbers coming up that fast seem to collaborate the data.
    The "feet" numbers are the accuracy of the GPS in feet so if your looking for an exact spot, your within 150' feet of that spot. You can see the speed numbers starting out as a slow update and then when he's moving it can get a measurement in a smaller amount of time and change the reading faster.
    Pretty incredible 40 to 90mph times on your ski. Awesome!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJosh View Post
    Wow

What's the feet measurement for?
    Altitude. Also, Subtract 1 from the G force calculator for actual results. Because that day was a bit choppy, it was all over the place but I have measured a solid 1.8 on acceleration before.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Very cool Gregg!! Adding it too the wish list.

Can't wait to see a video from the St Johns with that camera.

Banned User
    +1
    Wow. Thats pretty cool. I wonder how video quality compares to Go Pro. I am interested. I was looking at getting a Hero 3+ Black in addition to my Hero2 but this may be an interesting alternative.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Wow. Thats pretty cool. I wonder how video quality compares to Go Pro. I am interested. I was looking at getting a Hero 3+ Black in addition to my Hero2 but this may be an interesting alternative.
    Gregg is the Go Pro expert IMO and has the black along with everything else. I'm sure he would give an honest opinion or may still need to work with it some more.

+1
    Video quality looks good! I'm surprised you got to hit those numbers with no cops there, just about everytime I go out to lake conway there are cops on boats or skis.

+1
    The GP 3 black is still the best in video quality. It has a much higher data transfer rate than the Garmin, plus it can shoot at 60fps at 1080 whereas the Garmin can only do 720 at 60fps, which is what this video is. But how much does that really matter for the average user??? The Garmins mic is exposed and gets a lot of wind noise. I did some audio work and found their audio electronics to be very noisy. The mic can be turned off though... The GP has better audio overall. One needs to purchase an optional dive case for this camera as well. The Garmin is much heavier than a GP in its case too. I have a pair of Hero3 Blacks and may add another. For me, the Garmin is a supplement and the only reason I bought it was for its gps speed display. This will probably be the only one I buy. The Garmin can also link up with some of their other devices such as heart rate monitors they make and display that data too. I think this camera suits those who need to record telemetry from whatever activity they're doing. If you don't care about that, then I feel the GP's are better cameras for you. Hope this helps.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by da1nonlyrxp View Post
    Video quality looks good! I'm surprised you got to hit those numbers with no cops there, just about everytime I go out to lake conway there are cops on boats or skis.
    I waited for him to go in and dock. I figured he may be lazy. Plus I don't linger there. I was out there 10 min tops. Conway is close to my house and I only use it to test. If I ever get stopped, I'll play dumb, because I see no display of a speed limit of any kind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information