Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

rebuild or remanufactured engine

I have a 2007 challenger 180 with the 215sc in it. Timing chain is broken due to supercharger failure.
    Do I try and rebuild myself or do i buy a remanufactured engine for $2700 with a 2 yr no fault warranty and all the gaskets needed to bolt on accs. I am very mechanically inclined ..mainly cars but I have never rebuilt a sea doo engine. Thanks

+1
    where are you getting this re-manufactured engine? some places do a better job than others. I really dont have any knowledge of sea doos but this goes for any brand or machine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by docdoc88 View Post
    I have a 2007 challenger 180 with the 215sc in it. Timing chain is broken due to supercharger failure.
    Do I try and rebuild myself or do i buy a remanufactured engine for $2700 with a 2 yr no fault warranty and all the gaskets needed to bolt on accs. I am very mechanically inclined ..mainly cars but I have never rebuilt a sea doo engine. Thanks
    Hey Doc, if you have ever rebuilt an automotive engine i think you would be able to handle the seadoo 4-tec its generally the same just only 3 cyl's, i would pick up a service manual for the challenger so you know all the torque specs and other specs that you will need to know, but for the $2700 that's not to bad either considering you get the 2 year warranty with the engine, you'll have to see whats best i guess

SBT out of clearwater fl. From what I have researched they seem to be the one to go to ?? Also the 2 year warranty is a no fault deal .... no matter why it would fail in 2 years they will replace it ... no questions asked.

+1
    SBT has a hit or miss reputation, some of their rebuilds are great while others are junk right out of the box, but others have said lately that their quality control has gotten much better, one of my friends has an SBT rebuild engine and its been going strong for 5+ years now, if you do decide to go with them you should get it installed and go run it hard after you properly break it in to make sure you wont have any problems with it, the 2 year warranty is the best part, maybe even try to talk them into giving you a longer warranty possibly

+1
    I've personally seen 10+ sbt motors installed in the last year and none have failed.
    They did have issues a few years back but I believe they've gotten the bugs worked out.

Just run the balls out of it after break in and for sure get the 2 yr warranty.

7. +1 by:

Where is the best place to get shop manual for engine removal or is it pretty straight forward.

+1
    It's fairly simple to remove the engine and you can find lot's of information about it here on the forum, but i also found this on eBay, its cheap and might help you out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-BOMBARD...668dc8&vxp=mtr

+1
    You can download the engine manual here:

http://seadoomanuals.net/manuals/2007-seadoo.php

Pulling it out of a Challenger should be relatively easy, there should be more room to work in there than a regular Doo.

11. +1 by:

+1
    If the chain broke you might be spending more than the 2700.00 to fix it. Possible damage could be: Valves, head work,crank, pistons and rods..

Something had to get smacked around in there when it let loose. Crack it open and evaluate the cost...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information