Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    +1

97 seadoo challenger fouling plugs

Good evening, I have a 1997 seadoo challenger 787 that is continuously fouling out spark plugs. It is an oil foul. I have the oil system correctly working and have read there is a crank seal failure that occurs. Im sure this may be the culprit but is there any way to limit the oil flow into the crank area via a restrictor on that large oil line. I cut off the oil on the large line (not the one going to the pump) and my seadoo ran amazing, no fouling plugs. Is this safe to keep on, how much oil needs to go there? Really don't want to do an engine rebuild since this engine only has like 30 hrs on it as is. Thanks

+1
    Are you using quality 2 smoke oil???

I've seen a lot of people use the cheaper 2 smoke oil and foul plugs..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shawndak07 View Post
    I cut off the oil on the large line (not the one going to the pump) and my seadoo ran amazing, no fouling plugs. Is this safe to keep on
    Those lines feed oil to the rotory valve drive gear. Starving that of oil will cause a bigger problem.
    The leaky seal is #9 in this parts diagram.
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....RY-VALVE-(787)

Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    I cut off the oil on the large line (not the one going to the pump) and my seadoo ran amazing, no fouling plugs. Is this safe to keep on
    Those lines feed oil to the rotory valve drive gear. Starving that of oil will cause a bigger problem.
    This isn't totally correct. There are actually three potential areas for leakage, the rotary seal you mention, the crank seals, and the case halves. Most of the time, it is the crank seals that leak. The second most common cause is the rotary valve seal, and leaky case halves are the last in line. (BRP used a really crappy case sealing compound, Loctite 515/518, which was the stupidest idea they ever came up with. That crap breaks down with age and you have leakage. Why it took them until 2001 to figure this out is beyond me...)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steach View Post
    This isn't totally correct. There are actually three potential areas for leakage, the rotary seal you mention, the crank seals, and the case halves. Most of the time, it is the crank seals that leak. The second most common cause is the rotary valve seal, and leaky case halves are the last in line. (BRP used a really crappy case sealing compound, Loctite 515/518, which was the stupidest idea they ever came up with. That crap breaks down with age and you have leakage. Why it took them until 2001 to figure this out is beyond me...)
    Absolutely correct, i have read about those three causes, am i able to split case and reseal? I've hear a lot about having to replace the entire crankshaft? I reason i posted this is because I'm curious as to where those other oil lines really go to. They bath the RV gear in oil I'm guessing. Well in this case would i be able to limit the amount of oil going into there? Also i bought the boat with an almost full tank of oil, unsure of quality. Could be crap for all i know. Thanks for the responses!

+1
    Run quality 2 smoke oil.
    Many issues with cheap oil.

+1

Thread Information