Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2009 Kawakasi Ultra 260x lacking speed

Hi Guys,

new on here, just got a second hand 260x, 60 hrs, had it serviced through kawi dealer,

mechanic there said it was overfilled with 2ltrs of oil from previous owner (whom told me he was a mechanic! yeah right). but everything else fine.

Now. have run it twice.

first time out

can only get to around 80km on water. lagging boosts at times from take off.

occasionally cuts out when full throttle, hitting top speed (80ks),

occasionally cuts out when releasing from full throttle.

As explained form kawi mechanic it may need blowing out due to excess oil.

2nd time out

same as first time, however this time i noticed an inch of hot water in bottom of the ski.

So ive got a leak from the intake somewhere im presuming.

fresh water flush would only come through outlet when throttle engaged.

Im not overly mechanical, previously owned a stx15f had no problems and that did 100k's easy.

so presume the 260x should blow that away, but it doesnt.

have looked over a few threads and am still a little confused where to start.

Help, any suggestions?

Cheers

+1
    Mate if you are having issues now I would take it back to a mechanic that knows what they are doing sounds like you could have a number of issues. From water leaks, loose belt loose clamps, blocked intercooler, leaking bov. Air trumpet loose.

Go back to that mechanic who just performed "service." Clarify what exactly was done during "service?" What did he check and what did he find?

2 liters too much oil is a big red flag. If you are looking to buy a used 250/260, check the oil level! Its possible the seller just changed the oil before you came over trying to trick you. But, if you see gross overfill, you know the prior owner is clueless. The oil level on 250/260 must be checked before and after every ride. That much oil is bound to foul the intercooler which will then foul plugs. What did that excess oil look like? Was it very dark, dirty, thin and reeking of gas? Maybe prior owner didnt overfill, he just never noticed rising oil level caused by GIO or blow by. You let the oil get too thin and you can easily blow a motor. Thats why oil level must be carefully monitored and oil needs to be changed frequently.

Check little clear plastic drain tube that runs out bottom of airbox. Does it have liquid in it? How much and what color? Remove catch can. Is there any liquid in it? How much and what color? Remove and clean intercooler. Betcha its thoroughly fouled. Check and probably replace spark plugs. How long did prior owner let gas sit in tank? If more than a few weeks without STABIL, drain tank and replace with fresh fuel. Make sure mickey mouse rubber horn on air intake inside engine compartment has not worked loose and wedged up against hull restricting air flow.

Once you get ski running right, upgrade pump bearing assembly to 300 specifications. The 09 had a single bearing that is prone to failure with serious consequence. This is not likely cause of your current problem. But, it can become another serious problem if not fixed asap.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

+1
    Remove catchcan and check for liquid in it!, thats a new one it drains to the crankcase so it isnt going to have anything in it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    Remove catchcan and check for liquid in it!, thats a new one it drains to the crankcase so it isnt going to have anything in it
    I think he means sludgy water oil conbo.

+1
    Still not going to see anything in it

Wow, thanks for the response guys, will take it bac to the kawi dealer as they were happy to slug me for a service and tell me all was well. I've got a lot to learn clearly choosing a sc model. It was cheap for a reason I'm now thinking. The skis not completely nackered is it or am now just hoping it's not? Unable to check this stuff until Monday but will keep u posted

+1
    It's a great ski Just keep after it and do a few preventive things to it. Lot of guys with a lot of hours on these skis. Keep the supercharger belt adjusted, anti sieze ur plugs and put the ski away clean especially if ridden in salt water and you will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    Yes, we know you think its not a catch can but an oil overflow rollover protection system that works exactly as intended. Never any reason to change or modify it. Youve never had GIO so no else has either.

But, why then did HalfAss Jack and Earthshaker build a valve that allowed you to drain can without removing it from ski? Why would they do that if can was always bone dry?

What is that liquid I removed from my can? Smelled like gas in oil. I musta rolled my ski but did not know it. I better advise dealer who saw it too.

Banned User
    +1
    Kawasaki considers the stock piece a vapor/liquid separator (and granted the new one is much larger so it can do it's job better), but a true catch can (with overflow protection of course) really is needed to trap ALL the nasty fuel and gas diluted oil blowby and keep it out of the sump. An aftermarket catch can with a manual drain on the bottom does this (it must be drained every ride, but no biggie), keeps my IC pristine (I still have the catch can vented to the air box, but fog only for long term storage) and reduces fuel dilution of the oil, so win-win

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information