Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2011 Yamaha FZR - Hull Paint

Hi Ladies & Gents,

Recently I scratched my hull on the jetski trailer, the scratches are light but I want to get it fixed up.

I just have two questions:

What is the paint code/name for the black colour of the hull?

The clear coat they use on the hull is that a special kind of clear coat that is made just for salt water?

Cheers for the info in advance

+1
    It's listed on Color-rite's website. On my'09 FZR the black hull is not clear coated, unlike the topdeck.

+1
    I had a real little scratch on the bottom of my 09' hull (the bottom black part). I tapped it off and used automotive dulpi-color black spraypaint I had laying around the house and then clear coated dulpli-color automotive on top. It's not perfect, but its on the keel of the hull so you can't even see it.

your best bet is to match the paint and do a gel coat on the ski, the stock paint sucks and doing a 2 stage base coat clear coat is a pain. If you want to go that route, a poly clear is what you want...but an epoxy paint or get coat is whats going to last you the longest and most importantly not scratch nearly as easy.
    Last edited by kwtony; 12-29-2013 at 05:41 AM.

wait..., are you doing the bottom or the top?? because bottom is next to useless/pointless to try and match, (unless you are the ocd) and painting is certainly doesnt need to be this complicated. you dont spray a few spots and touch up anything (especially bottoms) with 2 stage, you either do the whole thing, or nothing. That stuff requires primer and a uniform surface.

Best way to fill and hide scratches.........greenhulk pwc forum Stickers :0)

7. +1 by:

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    Best way to fill and hide scratches.........greenhulk pwc forum Stickers :0)
    Hahaha true

Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    wait..., are you doing the bottom or the top?? because bottom is next to useless/pointless to try and match, (unless you are the ocd) and painting is certainly doesnt need to be this complicated. you dont spray a few spots and touch up anything (especially bottoms) with 2 stage, you either do the whole thing, or nothing. That stuff requires primer and a uniform surface.
    Sorry I forgot to mention, its the bottom half of the ski, the black hull.

So for the clear coat do I need a epoxy/gel coat based paint?

Reason I ask is I was talking to my mate and he said I might need a special type of clear coat on the hull so the salt water does not eat it.

Gel coat will work just fine for the bottom, no clear.

I wanted to re clarify myself when i made the comments on the clear. Your stock skis paint(top coat) has a base coat and a clear(a very very crappy clear). That type of paint job takes a lot more coats and more time. The problem is, its a very weak and scratch prone type of paint, a simple rub on a wooden dock will ruin a paint job or a brush up against a bush. A gel coat from ppg will not only be very scratch resistant but last through the harsh elements, plus be a sinch to repair later down the road. A little sanding, paint and some upol blender spray and the ski looks like it never got fudged. Repairs are a lot easier down the road on a gel coat as blending a base coat and clear coat is impossible without redoing the entire peice. Thats why they typically spray the whole panel on a car when they paint/retouch something.
    Last edited by kwtony; 01-06-2014 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    Gel coat will work just fine for the bottom, no clear.

I wanted to re clarify myself when i made the comments on the clear. Your stock skis paint(top coat) has a base coat and a clear(a very very crappy clear). That type of paint job takes a lot more coats and more time. The problem is, its a very weak and scratch prone type of paint, a simple rub on a wooden dock will ruin a paint job or a brush up against a bush. A gel coat from ppg will not only be very scratch resistant but last through the harsh elements, plus be a sinch to repair later down the road. A little sanding, paint and some upol blender spray and the ski looks like it never got fudged. Repairs are a lot easier down the road on a gel coat as blending a base coat and clear coat is impossible without redoing the entire peice. Thats why they typically spray the whole panel on a car when they paint/retouch something.
    Thanks for your help kwtony

If I choose to repair the bottom hull with the base coat and clear coat, do I need a special type of clear coat to withstand the salt water? or can I use the ordinary clear coat used in Automotive repairs.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information