+1

parasail regulations non commercial

I was thinking of purchasing a parasail. I know someone who has one that only used it twice. He doesn't want much for it. Is there any restrictions on parasails non commercial? We ride in Maryland, Chesapeake Bay, Lake Anna in Northern Va. and Florida. I cant find anything online. I'm worried that I'm buying something I won't be able to use because they're banned from most places. Also, can these be pulled by a get ski? The web site says anything 90hp and up.

You should call the people that patrol the waters of your area first. I know down here you can fly them, but where most of the rules and regulations come in, is when you are trying to do it for a business. My brother has a parasail and they fly each other around with it behind cars and boats all the time in central florida, they got stopped once and were only asked about the parasail and not questioned about its legality. Basically the cops thought it was pretty cool and took photos and they laughed and all had a good time.
    I personally wouldn't do it on anything other then a large and heavy ski, and you will want to watch some videos online about the proper way to pul retrieve and set up the parasail. it can be a lot more work then people might think. 2 people to hold the sail open, you to drive and the one person flying. Depending on your tow laws you might even needs another person to watch them riding backwards. thats a 5 person job. Also landing the person safely is a huge concern and where most of the liability comes in, but because they might be in the water, doesn't mean they are safe. Soft landings will take some getting used to and finding a good landing and take off zone is crucial. Keep it under 300 feet and you should be good to go.

I still want to buy one for personal use down here in the keys. I could tow my friends and family through some amazing places. But commercially my business can only tow tubes wake boards, and skis. You have to have a hydraulic winch as well .Even tho we are in the same at risk market with parasailing. Accidents in the parasail industry are what drives my premiums up

+1
    kwtony, thanks for the reply. i contacted the manufacturer and they are sending out a safety video and manual. good points that you bring up. i did notice on the youtube videos that it looks like a group effort to get the thing launched. and finding a safe place to launch and land might limit where i can fly people. Calling ahead to places we ride at is a joke. we've tried that for other things we've had questions about. most of the time you get recorded useless answers or the person you speak to hasnt got a clue. it's hard to believe you can put someone 300 ft in the air and no one has to take a safety class or your equipment doesn't have to be inspected! people can die falling from 300 ft if the harness broke. i think i'll test it with my mother in law first.

Thread Information