Thread: 98 GSX Ltd VTS

98 GSX Ltd VTS

OK my friend ( yes really my friend) has a 98 gsx and we were out riding and all of a sudden it started popping the fuse for the vts system. we changed the fuse and it kept popping it . i pulled the motor (vts) and hooked it to 12 v and it worked fine no binding , well while it was unplugged we put a new fuse in and lo and behold it popped . unplugged the entire vts assy and replaced fuse this time it did not pop. i pulled the vts motor housing and it appear that the board is potted (sealed) so there is no way it got water in it. i guess my question is. anyone have any idea how expensive it is to replace one of these. and can perry performance get them ? thanks guys...

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasMason View Post
    OK my friend ( yes really my friend) has a 98 gsx and we were out riding and all of a sudden it started popping the fuse for the vts system. we changed the fuse and it kept popping it . i pulled the motor (vts) and hooked it to 12 v and it worked fine no binding , well while it was unplugged we put a new fuse in and lo and behold it popped . unplugged the entire vts assy and replaced fuse this time it did not pop. i pulled the vts motor housing and it appear that the board is potted (sealed) so there is no way it got water in it. i guess my question is. anyone have any idea how expensive it is to replace one of these. and can perry performance get them ? thanks guys...
    The circuit board is the issue, happens all the time...Just because the board is coated in a hardened goop, doesn't mean moisture has gotten there over time...

There is a guy on PPG's site, and i think this site, who has fixed them before...so a search on both sites.

otherwise, check ebay or anyone parting out a ski...you just need the box, no motor...

There is a way to fix it, I've done it before, but it will not work as normal and you loose the display...You'll need 2 auto relays and sockets, and you need to wire it up like you would a set of auto door locks...easy, but time consuming...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The circuit board is the issue, happens all the time...Just because the board is coated in a hardened goop, doesn't mean moisture has gotten there over time...

There is a guy on PPG's site, and i think this site, who has fixed them before...so a search on both sites.

otherwise, check ebay or anyone parting out a ski...you just need the box, no motor...

There is a way to fix it, I've done it before, but it will not work as normal and you loose the display...You'll need 2 auto relays and sockets, and you need to wire it up like you would a set of auto door locks...easy, but time consuming...
    luckily i know exactly how to wire up the door locks, i am an old car alarm stereo tech. any idea who the guy is on here that repairs them or what he charges ?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasMason View Post
    luckily i know exactly how to wire up the door locks, i am an old car alarm stereo tech. any idea who the guy is on here that repairs them or what he charges ?
    dunno, saw him on PPG's site last year...

the locks, simple negative setup...you got the buttons for the vts, use those as incoming signal from the "control module"...one set of leads goes to the power leads of the motor DIRECTLY....you can figure it out from there...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    dunno, saw him on PPG's site last year...

the locks, simple negative setup...you got the buttons for the vts, use those as incoming signal from the "control module"...one set of leads goes to the power leads of the motor DIRECTLY....you can figure it out from there...

thanks for the info much appreciated.

+1
    I think my buddy might have one for sale.
    In the future, put some sealant around the edges of the top cap area, where the circuit box is sealed at. I do that on all my skis. I've had my 98xpl for 6 years now and I have not had to replace the vts system on it.
    SHOOTER

Thread Information