Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

left drain plugs out and flooded my fx140, now won't start

Took my fx140 out for a spin as weather was good, made the most stupid mistake of leaving the drain plugs out. I'm kicking myself right now
    Was out on it for about 40 mins, all the time engine was running the bielge pump must have kept up OK as had no problems, but turned it off at the slip to collect my car/trailer. It was heavy to winch on and when driving up the slip I noticed the water draining out the back and realised what I had done
    I pulled the s-plugs and turned over, no sign of water so tried firing it up. All it does is pop and bang for the first couple of turns then a weird exhaust combustion noise.
    Gonna compression test it this afternoon, praying I haven't hydro locked engine and done damage.
    Anyone got any ideas what to try?
    I'm so dissapointed in myself, being a boater I should have known better! I feel such a fool!
    Cheched all fuses and they are intact. Rinsed and wd40'd whole engine, filter box dosnt seem to have had any water in it as it was bone dry.
    Any help appreciated.

+1
    How's the oil look, if oil is water free, and you are sure nothing went in intake you might have wet electrical causing misfire. If it turns over normally then it is prob not hydro locked, can pull the plugs and turn it over just verify nothing comes out.

Thanks echo,
    The oil is clean, I Hooked the plugs out again today, gapped them and blowtorched them. Checked each ht lead an all sparked.
    Put it all back together. Pushed start an it ran first turn!

Maybe a connection was wet and dried out, maybe a small amount of water got sucked in an wet the plugs whatever it was seems to be OK now.

Drain plugs are in nice and tight and not coming out again

+1
    Hopefully you dodged a bullet. I would put some hours on it today and over the weekend; don't let it sit in the garage. Just change the oil and get out on the water to keep it warm and running for the next several days that should help dry things out inside your engine bay. You can also keep the seat cover off for a few days to get rid of some humidity.

Lol. I wish! Was lucky to get it out this time of year! I live on a small island called guernsey in the channel between UK and France. Weather and sea conditions are not good this time of year. Amazing in summer months but only maybe couple calm winter days per year.
    Iv run it up on the hose for a while and put small dehumidifier inside the ski to dry everything out.
    Thanks, have a great new year

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by martynwilley View Post
    Thanks echo,
    The oil is clean, I Hooked the plugs out again today, gapped them and blowtorched them. Checked each ht lead an all sparked.
    Put it all back together. Pushed start an it ran first turn!

Maybe a connection was wet and dried out, maybe a small amount of water got sucked in an wet the plugs whatever it was seems to be OK now.

Drain plugs are in nice and tight and not coming out again
    I have been there and done that I feel your pain. However putting them in nice and tight is not the problem they didn't come loose. In fact I have never had them come loose. It has ALWAYS been my fault for not putting them in. Best to you. I am still trying to figure out how to remember to put them back in when I take them out.

+1
    after running it (which you have already done ) check the oil again
    if any water got in it will show up in the oil
    I left the bungs out on my 160 a few times and water never got high enough to get in the motor

+1
    I have been there and done that I feel your pain. However putting them in nice and tight is not the problem they didn't come loose. In fact I have never had them come loose. It has ALWAYS been my fault for not putting them in. Best to you. I am still trying to figure out how to remember to put them back in when I take them out.[/QUOTE]
    aint that the truth
    I have read many posts where someone will say I do all these checks before I ride so I never forget
    we all try and do that just sometimes it doesn't happen for what ever reason
    I always remember to unstrap the back of the ski
    so maybe I should put a tag on there with big letters BUNGS

+1
    I seldom pull mine, but when I do I pull them all the way out, and put them in the glove box withy the key. Haven't ever forgot them yet, but if I do hopefully I see me when getting the key.

Your battery is lower then your intake. Youll short that out before you hydrolock your motor. Im not saying its impossible to do, but considering you drove it to the ramp and it was still running and not over the battery, you probably didnt need to any more then a simple rinse and call it a day. Being cautious is good tho. Just letting you know for future.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information