Hows your monday night going?

absolutely swamped at the rental and a NEW spark plug had to break in half on me.

Okay so the story goes like this. We had a 5 ski deliver to do in key west yesterday and when putting this ski on the trailer it runs like asshole. I pull the plugs and they are in rough shape. Still firing, but not too well. PLugs are visibly worn, I put brand new WAY overpriced ngk plugs from advanced auto and when tightening them down the number 4 cylinder just snapped off. It was not cross threaded and was put in the exact precision i have done the 160,000 plugs over the years, done by hand till its stopped, then slowly tightened with torque wrench. I use a special 1/4 torque wrench and grab it very close to the inside of the wrench so i can turn it slowly and not with much leverage...to start, when ill slowly work it in. It was getting to that perfect spot, i could feel it just about there and bam...twisted apart...with very little effort. i had done cyl 1 2 and 3 without hitch but the last one broke. I checked the wrench with another torque wrench to see if it could have gone bad and its dead on... ..now here we are... my machinist is expecting me tomorrow morning. Itll be a quick and easy teardown of the motor and off to the shop. Every time i pull a vx motor, i want to film the process and give a step by step for the youtube. But i just did a snorkel tour and killed the battery of my go pro and was on a deadline, so ill do that one later. But what i will do is the step by step tear down of the full motor and head and the procedures and post it on youtube.

Anywho...you seadoo guys are going to love this. While taking the ski to the boat ramp next to my rental. I was towing this yami with a seadoo. There were 4 seadoos on one side of the marina and one on the other, while the ONLY yamaha was being towed in....as soon as i saw what was going on, i laughed my ass off.

+1
    We've got to get you a "proper" engine stand, Tony !!!

^^Hahah, thats funny. Engine stand schmengin' stand

I got the engine apart and filmed the whole thing. When i go back for reassembly on friday it will all be finalized shorty after and ill put that on the youtube for everyone to ignor..i mean enjoy. I also found while making the video that I could have easily used and extractor tool to get the broken part out. Pretty sure you could sense my excitement when i pulled it out. However, there were things that fell in the engine after I pulled the broken thats been melted to half burnt coil(ill show photos of that tomorrow) so Im glad I ended up pulling it apart anyways. After rotating the motor to view the cylinder walls, it shows they are in perfect shape still and that nothing fell in and scoured the surface. So, in all my partner was shocked after i tore this apart to find me laughing and happy. Now i just have to wait for a new head gasket and a new timing chain tensioner gasket and shell be back in the water again..

4. +1 by:

+1
    Hey Tony on the 10 hour service have you ever seen plugs that needed replacement?

Cajun, I've personally seen pugs that get fuel fouled with .01 hours on them go bad, so anything is really possible. Would i change them if they only had 10 hours on them and I wasn't experiencing any lack of power and performance??...nope. I would first check my air filter and if it still had that crappy paper element, I would call and get a reusable R&D filter ASAP. One of the biggest reasons these VX skis start to get a little pokey, is the air filter. People change plugs, put all sorts of additives, change props ect to try and get their mph back.. If you have the mechanical know how, i would remove the intake manifold and pop the TB off and remove the ribbon as well. I usually use a flat head and a hammer. then give it a good rinse out with water to clean it out after. If you need help with finding the manual for this ski just PM me. Does your VX have 10 hours on it? If so ill give you a few other things to check as well. If its this new tho, i think the dealer should take care of most of it.

+1
    Nah I'm running a VXR but the next time I take it out I'll put over 10 hours on it. I plan on buying a little oil extractor but was just wondering if I needed to bother with any plug maintenance at this point. She's running just fine right now.

No you shouldn't. Depending on how often you drive it, i would wait till 30-50 hrs are on it, then go ahead and replace.. I like to keep them fresh but there might be other people that would disagree, so you could just replace as needed if you don't feel like shelling out the few bucks for a set of lfr6a's. No anti seize either. Manuel calls for 9.4lbs for the vx110 plugs and 18.4 for the VXS. If they think its important enough to have that much of a difference between the two size plugs, you should strongly consider using a torque wrench. I know many people think thats bull shit, and use the good old, 'turn it till it stops then go a little further trick' and im totally fine with that. Im just telling you what i do, and what has worked for me.

+1
    Man that looks ugly !!!

Yeah, what a pain in the ass that was. I got the motor rebuilt and back in and it started up the first try, purred like a kitten. Not thats its unusual for my engines to be running right, but its always a great feeling. I got the rebuild on film and am in the process of completing the video. It took a lot of effort to get the whole thing on film, and it easly too twice or three times as long to build because i was trying to make sure and get the good shots. Right now tho, im having issues with FCP and my other editing programs. So ill have it up as soon as i can.

12. +1 by:

Thread Information