Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2009 single trailer (upkeep advice)

I'm buying an 09 trailer for cheap. Believe it's a ezwv1250 trailer. I plan to change tires and probably go to a 13 (has 12) check and repack bearings. And maybe do something with the bunks. They have some small tears on each side where the ski hits the bunk initially (May add slides or re carpet) any other ideas.

+1
    Make sure the lights are sealed up good before you back into water.
    Disconnect the power from car before going into water too if its salt especially.

+1
    Convert to LED lights ( personal preference). If you are going to re-carpet then replace the boards as well.

Thanks guys. Going to buy carpet and new boards (cheap why not) and redo bunks Tomm. Check and replace or repack bearings. And new tires will be in soon. Then I'll go pick up my new ski Friday!

Led lights will come soon!

+1
    Get pressure treated wood for the bunks.. many years of use on mine and not rotting at all.

6. +1 by:

I was told no on that just yellow pine bc pressure treated holds moisture from being treated

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wotxxxsd View Post
    Get pressure treated wood for the bunks.. many years of use on mine and not rotting at all.
    My wood bunks rotted after five years, and were probably going soft at four years. Triton Elite double with OEM bunks.

One of the original bunks just tore right off the mount and was flopping along side the trailer. Fortunately there was no PWC on the trailer at the time, just running empty. Another bunk cracked during reloading at the launch ramp, had to shore it up with scrap lumber to get home.

Replaced all four bunks with pressure treated boards and new carpet. Plan to replace the boards again in another four years.

There is a huge risk of hull damage if an old bunk should fail during travel, especially if not noticed immediately and you keep driving while the hull grinds away against whatever hard parts of the trailer it ends up resting on.

+1
    I counter sunk carriage bolts on mine so the brackets cannot pull off. I did also use impregnated pt wood (with the incision marks)

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    I counter sunk carriage bolts on mine so the brackets cannot pull off. I did also use impregnated pt wood (with the incision marks)
    While the large carriage bolt heads might resist pull through better than lag bolts, the wood tends to rot faster wherever there are holes.

How much longer the bunks will maintain enough support/strength by using carriage bolts is hard to say. The carpet makes it hard to judge how quickly the wood rot is actually occurring.

As an experiment I used cedar 2x4 for this last set of bunks. Natural wood oils vs. chemical wood treatment. I also ran a router along all 12 edges of each bunk to round them to a nice radius, which hopefully will reduce the amount of carpet wear/fraying along those edges.

+1
    Unless you fill the hole

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information