Winter rebuild, supercharger wheel choice...

I have been reading review, after review on supercharger wheel choices for the RXP/RXPX models on the forums but have yet to make up my mind on one. I have a 2009 RXPX which I am going to have a rebuild done on the supercharger this month. I am the type of person who, if your going to take it apart and have it redone - why not make it better...

Currently my setup includes; Riva intake grate (will be changing to a R&D), pump wedge, vts extent rod, 83mm reduction nozzle, TDR waterbox, hull through exhaust, solas 15/22R impeller, 4" intake, Riva intake manifold upgrade, speed freaks nose cone, cut reverse bucket, filled ride plate holes, and OPAS delete kit.

I get confused while reading the forums because I have an "X" supercharger already. Most posts talk about upgrading the RXP supercharger (and most of them upgrade to an X, or similar wheel) Which one would be a nice upgrade from the stock X charger?

Is there a wheel out on the market that would be an upgrade that would not require all the mods such as springs/retainers, ecu, fuel injectors, FPR, ect...? I don't mind spending the money, but if there was a wheel that I could put in that retains the stock rev limit that should save a lot of money by not installing the spring and retainer kit... (so i think... haha)

Any information would be great, thanks!

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by My09RXPX View Post
    Most posts talk about upgrading the RXP supercharger (and most of them upgrade to an X, or similar wheel) Which one would be a nice upgrade from the stock X charger?
    Even though your charger is what is on all the new skis (except for the GTR), it is still refered to as the "X" Charger...Technically it is STOCK for that ski, but it is not what people think of when they say STOCK....

When refering to STOCK, many riders and long time forum members will refer back to the OEM charger that came on the 215hp model, which was standard on all skis (except for X and iControl) from about 2003/4-2009. This charger has a wheel diameter of 127mm, and puts out around 7-7.5psi of boost. Your X charger, which is wider at 137mm, with the OEM air intake setup, will push about 9-10psi of boost, and 10-11psi when the air intake is opened up like you have done...

Quote Originally Posted by My09RXPX View Post
    Is there a wheel out on the market that would be an upgrade that would not require all the mods such as springs/retainers, ecu, fuel injectors, FPR, ect...? I don't mind spending the money, but if there was a wheel that I could put in that retains the stock rev limit...
    No wheel will change the stock rev limit, that is done by the ECU...

First order of business, before you upgrade any wheel....is you need to monitor your AFR's. This will help you get your fueling right, and take advantage of the extra boost you now have. Unless you do this, you could chance burning your motor up from being too lean...Get your exhaust manifold ready and drop in a gauge to read...
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=2296

As for what wheel, you have MANY good quality options...ET make a good pair of drop in wheels (ET137+4 would be nice), and RUDE has a great wheel with their "Mini RUDE".....Both of which can be obtained from the forum store.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=2017

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1215

Hope that helps you out!

--Danny

Thanks once again Danny, your always helpful. I was looking into the ET 137+4. On their web site they claim that the only needed modifications to a 255 ski are an adjustable FPR and 48 lb injectors... Is this true? I plan on keeping the revs at stock rpms for the time being, to save on the ECU and spring/retainer upgrades. (Oh, and I do have a wide band AFR gauge that will be installed during this time as well.)

+1
    That ET wheel will make you happy but you will need Bosch 48s and possibly a rrfpr and a way to monitor afrs. A RRFPR is cheap insurance IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by greenbullet View Post
    That ET wheel will make you happy but you will need Bosch 48s and possibly a rrfpr and a way to monitor afrs. A RRFPR is cheap insurance IMO.
    Yes I am definitely going to install them. Is that all that's needed if I stick with the stock rev limit?

+1
    you will need a prop as well if you don't already have so... a 15.20 or 15/22 would suit your ski with that wheel from what ive tested at stock rpm 8100

+1
    I ran a 137 wheel for a summer with a 15/22 pitched to a 23 prop at 8100rpm with bosch 48s and a RRFPR

Quote Originally Posted by greenbullet View Post
    you will need a prop as well if you don't already have so... a 15.20 or 15/22 would suit your ski with that wheel from what ive tested at stock rpm 8100
    Yea i have a 15/22 installed already. Thanks, looks like this will be my new setup come spring 2014. I appreciate the help

+1
    no problem...

Thread Information