What's that squealing noise when the intake grate comes out of the water on my FX SHO

More than once on my FX SHO and FZS I'll unitentionally jump a wake where the entire ski comes out of the water and I get a high pitched screech. It doesn't sound great so I try to avoid it but I'm not always successful. Why do I get it and is it bad for the ski? I was thinking it was blow off from the super charger but I really don't know if I'm right. I know it's a rookie question but I'm moving the skis this season to a lake with a lot of chop and wanted to know if this will do damage to my skis or not? I fear on the new lake the entire ski will come out of the water more often.

+1
    Could be your s.c. clutch working!

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Could be the Pump bearings, and your not hearing that while its in the water

+1
    Does it only happen out of water when you hop out while riding... or if you start on trailer do you hear it too?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    Could be the Pump bearings, and your not hearing that while its in the water
    +1 my pump bearings on an older ski started making a high pitched squeal or whining noise right before they went. but on my buddy's fzs you can really hear the supercharger whine when it goes airborn, maybe since there's no load on it anymore? idk just a guess.

6. +1 by:

YAMAHA POWAAAA !!!!! 1_Fast_SHO's Avatar
    +1

What's that squealing noise when the intake grate comes out of the water on m...

I have had friends that the supercharger make a funny noise, wayyy different than mine. Kind of like the wheel was touching the SC housing. ( Which it wasn't happening. ) Mine never did it so i wouldn't know, hope you find the problem and share it with us.

I probably used a poor choice of words for the Title of this post. All is well and sounds normal when I start then on the dry dock. All sounds normal all the time. But, if I jump a wake and bring the entire ski out of the water, i get a very quick high pitched squeal. If I had to guess I'd say it's the clutch making the noise as Gordon suggested. The noise only happens when the ski starts sucking air instead of water and I'm still on the throttle. Both skis do it so I'm assuming it's a normal function, I'm just not mechanically inclined enough to know why it makes the noise.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crvtt771 View Post
    I probably used a poor choice of words for the Title of this post. All is well and sounds normal when I start then on the dry dock. All sounds normal all the time. But, if I jump a wake and bring the entire ski out of the water, i get a very quick high pitched squeal. If I had to guess I'd say it's the clutch making the noise as Gordon suggested. The noise only happens when the ski starts sucking air instead of water and I'm still on the throttle. Both skis do it so I'm assuming it's a normal function, I'm just not mechanically inclined enough to know why it makes the noise.

yep, normal sound. It's just your clutch.

+1
    my VXS with a NV motor makes the same sound, like it sucking for water, it goes away as soon as it hits the water again, completely normal, your just hearing the impeller spinning at what is probably close to the rev limiter

Thread Information