scored cylinder on 2004 virage i

Pto cylinder looks great with no scores. Front jug is scored and will have to be worked on. Do both cylinders have to be the same bore. I thought about getting a sbt cylinder exchange kit or could I do a light hone and new piston on the pto jug and bore the scored jug? Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131231_164400135.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	320642

+1
    Did you do a compression check?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg L View Post
    .. Front jug is scored and will have to be worked on. Do both cylinders have to be the same bore?...
    They can be different bore increments, for recreational watercraft.

The issue is that SBT typically over bores the cylinder to +1mm which is nominal maximum, which means the head also needs to be over bore. SBT heads are often machined to a non-OEM (lower) compression ratio which I prefer not to have.

If you can get a stock bore size cylinder from SBT then you can use your existing stock cylinder head.

Of course, you also want the cylinder porting between the two cylinders to be the same. I cannot say whether SBT closely conforms to OEM porting specs on these cylinders.

If it was me I would send out the cylinder to be over bored the minimum amount and replace the piston with a matching new piston.

You want to end up with basically the same porting and same compression on both cylinders. The slight difference in bore diameters is not a significant issue.

What you do need to do is understand why that cylinder failed and verify that the other cylinder really is good enough to run. Not just compression but overall condition of the cylinder (wear, taper, rings, etc).

And then there is the crank shaft condition (shaft end seals, bearing wear, slop, hours, etc).

If this engine already has a lot of running hours then it may make more sense to properly rebuild it.

Thanks k447

Took jugs to machine shop. Going to go .5 mm over. Shop ordered top end kit and will match bore to pistons. I think I scored the cylinder this spring while running the ski out of the water. Dumb a$$. Was trying to figure out a miss that ended up being from a bad spark plug.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg L View Post
    ... Was trying to figure out a miss that ended up being from a bad spark plug.
    Use the correct NGK brand spark plugs.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    its important on polaris jugs to relieve the exhaust port opening AFTER boring,say so in the manual,most shops DON'T DO THIS,and more than likely you will hang a ring on the port

Thread Information