Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Kids Allowances?

What is the going rate for kids allowances? Say 15 year old.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Depends on the circumstances . IMO it depends on kids behavior and amount of chores they help with.

+1
    mobile phone with limited data..
    but yes, depending on chores.. and grades is how i work mine.

+1
    He is a great kid good grades very helpful (when asked) he has never had any allowance but I feel he needs something.

I never had allowance growing up.

5. +1 by:

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    room and board is what mine get (11)...when they are old enough to work(13), they get a job. Fortunately, around here agriculture allows kids to work young. Detasseling corn, Pollinating Corn, walking beans, etc. There is a Corn/Bean Research facility that comes to town with a bus every morning and picks kids up that cant drive. they work from 6-12. the15-17 year olds work 8 hours and the 18+ work as many as they want. Im putting my kid on that crew as soon as shes old enough then cost sharing the car when she turns 16. Whatever money she makes doing that I will throw in that much.

+1
    He is a great kid good grades very helpful (when asked) he has never had any allowance but I feel he needs something.

I never had allowance growing up.

I have a 12yr old son and 15 year old daughter.

Daughter works hard and excels in everything she does. being at the age, having the freedom of staying in touch with her friends via her own phone shs enjoys it. she does get rewarded with good grades as well as helping around the house. nothing insane as they get fed and watered.

My son on the other hand loves helping me with the ski's.. he can now pull out a supercharger from a 4tec but i need to help him with the waterbox strap. He also now has a keen ear and understanding on how turbo's work. air flow volume vs boost.

he watched my turbo ski go from a smaller turbo pushing near on 23psi to a bigger turbo and managing more power on a bigger turbo on 18psi. he can also log AFR's for me too.

I would say he has more understanding of turbo's than most adults do lol. but he follows me to work on days keen to learn more. . i would say allowance including a mobile data plan if you want to go that way would be around $35 a week? and maybe more on top if he mows the lawns, etc..

+1
    Today got me thinking.. We were in the car and he asked me if we had any plans for summer break as far as activities for him (Camp etc as in years passed). I said not that I know of so he asked if it was ok to pursue an internship at Yale. I paused and said yes as long as that is something you want to due I will support your decision..

That got me thinking about allowance as he has never asked for anything he is a very mature and responsible kid and I would like to show my support.

+1
    He does have a phone with unlimited data.

+1
    sounds pretty responsible beer..

depends on how much financially you can afford as well. you don't want to spoil them. With teens getting bored and getting up to mischief, i think its a reward in itself that a teen have their heads screwed on and not loitering the streets posting stuff up on youtibe etc.

Maybe you should have an allowance during the "break" ?? this way they learn to budget carefully and save for things too.

Today got me thinking.. We were in the car and he asked me if we had any plans for summer break as far as activities for him (Camp etc as in years passed). I said not that I know of so he asked if it was ok to pursue an internship at Yale. I paused and said yes as long as that is something you want to due I will support your decision..

That got me thinking about allowance as he has never asked for anything he is a very mature and responsible kid and I would like to show my support.

+1
    Great points. Just looking for a general feel as to what other parents are doing. I know every kid and situation is different.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information