Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    denair ca.
    Posts
    19

    hp.required to turn a vx 110

    does anybody know the hp. to turn a stock vx 110 impeller at 7500 shaft rpm? or have a hp. requirement chart


  2. #2
    Roughly 110hp..because that's about how much the vx has.

    My only question, what are are you trying to do?

  3. #3
    fx160's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    gold coast australia
    Posts
    2,409
    +1
    193
    I think the VX is geared down
    And you will a fair bit more Hp if your using it on another ski

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by fx160 View Post
    I think the VX is geared down
    And you will a fair bit more Hp if your using it on another ski
    I do wonder what would happen if the VX was not geared down. I suppose it would accelerate slower but have more top speed?

  5. #5
    ksalles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Slidell, La.
    Posts
    1,786
    +1
    304
    The gearing allows the weaker motor to spin the prop at those rpm. If I recall, the reduction is in the 1.50 range. Meaning the impeller spins that much slower than the engine rpm. ( ie. 1.5 times slower than the rpm of the motor) Without the reduction, the VX WOULDN'T SPIN IT NEAR those rpm. It would take a VX to have a considerable amount more than 110hp to spin it near that....probably near double, if not more, than the stock hp.
    Quote Originally Posted by god2dman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fx160 View Post
    I think the VX is geared down
    And you will a fair bit more Hp if your using it on another ski
    I do wonder what would happen if the VX was not geared down. I suppose it would accelerate slower but have more top speed?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    denair ca.
    Posts
    19
    I am building a custom pump for my aluminum fishing boat and I have a Kawasaki 12f motor and I am building an intake and using a vx 110 stator and input shaft with a custom built posi. nozzle

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ksalles View Post
    The gearing allows the weaker motor to spin the prop at those rpm. If I recall, the reduction is in the 1.50 range. Meaning the impeller spins that much slower than the engine rpm. ( ie. 1.5 times slower than the rpm of the motor) Without the reduction, the VX WOULDN'T SPIN IT NEAR those rpm. It would take a VX to have a considerable amount more than 110hp to spin it near that....probably near double, if not more, than the stock hp.
    Quote Originally Posted by god2dman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fx160 View Post
    I think the VX is geared down
    And you will a fair bit more Hp if your using it on another ski
    I do wonder what would happen if the VX was not geared down. I suppose it would accelerate slower but have more top speed?
    So you are saying the reduction takes the RPM of the engine and spins the impeller at half the speed, but if the engine were directly connected like all the other PWC then the engine could not turn the impeller at a 1:1 ratio? Seems a bit counter intuitive but cars with transmissions work on the same principle.

  8. #8
    I was told a long time ago its a 2:1 ratio on the reduction drive. Whatever the engine is spinning the pump is going about half that. Ive never counted the teeth on a reduction drive so dont hold me to those exact numbers. Still the ski goes 50+ mph. Its such a great machine because the lower power engine means less fuel consumption, but you dont have to sacrifice that your hole-shot or top speed. Add to the fact that the motor is damn near bullet proof, and you end up with the highest selling ski in the world .

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2011, 11:19 PM
  2. how to change a impeller shaft seal on a vx 110 pto
    By KyleP in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 08:25 PM
  3. Wanting to buy a 07 vx 110
    By ianschrd in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2010, 09:57 PM
  4. want to change my head on my vx 110 any help
    By mck542 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 04:08 PM
  5. adding reverse to a vx 110 sport???
    By Briski in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 03:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •