Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1996 SLT780 E-Box Rebuild

I found a project SLT780 and while I still have some mechanical work to do on the ski, I know I will want to update the E-Box as well. I had the whole thing running at one point so I believe the E-Box, as-is, is functional, but it is less than ideal. I attached some pictures I took over the summer; it is complete chaos. My guess is water got in the box and shorted out the terminal board, so whoever owned it at the time got some inline fuse holders and wired everything directly. There are wire nuts everywhere and what appear to be overloaded grounding points.

Any advice on how to handle this mess?

I want to make sure whatever I do mechanically still works so I am not touching the electrical until I can confirm it is mechanical sound. This will most likely be a Fall 2014 project so I am in the planning stages now. I have a pure mechanical background so this more or less terrifies me. I know its basic, but this is chaos. My reasoning behind rebuilding it is for proper troubleshooting of issues in the future. With a messy E-Box I will never know if a future issue is tied to an electrical issue without having this back in a stock configuration. Also, the MFD is not wired, and I would really like to be able to monitor RPM's and ideally fuel level.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130715_172627.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	320760Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130715_172640.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	320761Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130715_172642.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	320762Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130715_172650.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	320763

+1
    Based on your last status update, it sounded like you had lots to do.... http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=200622&page=5

Anything changed since then??

Banned User
    +1
    The stuff in the half of the box with the ignition coils is correct. You are just missing the terminal board. Get a new board and crimp on spade connectors to the wires and connect everything to the board. Its actually a pretty simple project, one that should only take a few hours.

+1
    They charge a good coin for their e-box restoration service but look at the nice work that JetSki Solutions does...

http://www.jetskisolutions.com/p32_p...n_service.html

electrically, nothing has changed since then. i narrowed things down to the leaky end seal so i rebuilt the engine.

i believe everything to be functional now... was just looking for tips on the electrical part. where i have numerous grounds sharing one wire nut i get weary that i can just put spades on the ends and plug them in to a new TB.

are there numerous ground locations on the boards? the slt780 schematic i have does not show the board specifically so i get concerned about tying things into the wrong locations. i could probably figure it out... just curious if there was anything obvious I need to plan for or watch out for when attempting it. i don't want to ruin my mechanical work/investment.

BlueFish your threads and PM's have been instrumental in getting me over some obstacles. so thank you again

+1
    There is one bus on the board for grounds. Yes, there are many grounds that connect to that location. My 780 rebuild thread walks through the connection point for each of the components. Start at post #68 http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=193805&page=7

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    There is one bus on the board for grounds. Yes, there are many grounds that connect to that location. My 780 rebuild thread walks through the connection point for each of the components. Start at post #68 http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=193805&page=7
    i have read that entire thread numerous times and would use the e-box rebuild as a guide. it is a GREAT thread. my main concern is the condition of my electrical box. i do not want to impair the performance of my pwc by connector malfunctioning components. mainly, i do not know why the previous owner took the board out and hot wired the entire e-box. i am guessing that something shorted, but i do not know if anything was damaged and thats why the MFD was disconnected or if he just didnt want to buy a new board.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    They charge a good coin for their e-box restoration service but look at the nice work that JetSki Solutions does...

http://www.jetskisolutions.com/p32_p...n_service.html
    Just curious, what price range?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bsouth19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    i have read that entire thread numerous times and would use the e-box rebuild as a guide. it is a GREAT thread. my main concern is the condition of my electrical box. i do not want to impair the performance of my pwc by connector malfunctioning components. mainly, i do not know why the previous owner took the board out and hot wired the entire e-box. i am guessing that something shorted, but i do not know if anything was damaged and thats why the MFD was disconnected or if he just didnt want to buy a new board.
    I would guess he didn't bother looking into a new board. I would likely guess that when he acquired the ski, water had been left sitting in the ebox which will easily corrode the board connections leaving a rusty mess. This is a very common occurance. Perhaps the MFD simply didn't work so it was not connected. Remove the MFD harness fromt he electrical box, take the red purple and black from the mfd and connect to a 12v source to test it. It does not have to be connected to the ski's electrical system. Any 12v source is fine. This will tell you if it powers up or not. The red light on the top will flash a few times then go out if it does power up.

Banned User
    +1
    There is nothing wrong with your electrical box except for the missing terminal board. I think you can still get the board new through Polaris for about 30 bucks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information