Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I'm afraid of the supercharger

Hi everyone,
    I currently have a 2006 FX, as my son gets older I am looking to get a nicer, newer machine for myself, so the family has a pair for riding. I am currently looking at a pair of 2007 FX HOs (would sell the 06FX) and perhaps a 2011 FX SHO. Money isn't really the issue, though I am still value conscious. Of course the newer ski costs more, and I can handle that. I like the FX and its apparent simplicity without the supercharger, but have two areas of question:

1 - How reliable is the supercharger? I would ride in saltwater/ocean almost exclusively, and after RTFF, appears a Blow Off Valve would be a good idea if the ski spends a decent amount of time in the air. How many hours does the supercharger last? Is clutch failure the typical failure point? I see Riva sells a set of supercharger gears that they claim to "cushion" the supercharger, do the gears fail, or the ceramic washer. Should the S/C fail, what is a typical cost to replace? Can one simply remove the S/C and run the machine as a naturally aspirated unit?

2 - What do I need to know to inspect a used supercharged ski? Do the FX/SHO come with a boost gauge? Do I have to take something apart to see/inspect the charger? Its a 2011 with 60-65 hours on it, rest of the ski looks pretty cherry.

I don't really want/need the power or fuel consumption of the SHO, but if its the right price and I don't need to fear the S/C, I might just go ahead and pick it up, plus I wouldn't have to sell the 06.

Thanks for your thoughts!!

+1

Cool

Use the search function on this site to research the yamaha s/c issues. I believe the newest yamaha s/c doesn't have the faults of the previous years.
    With salt water riding your going to come unhooked often and that puts additional pressure on the s/c. The non s/c models are more bullet proof.
    Just my .02

+1
    Well this is what i'll chip in. My friend owns a 2009 supercharged FZS. it has no mods except for some air intake piece, He has never had a single problem with the supercharger nor has he even ever inspected it. the ski still runs 68 mph gps with 150 hours.

Not to say people haven't had issues with their supercharger but overall I think its fairly reliable from my personal experience.

+1
    Hello finsfanscott,
    There are no ceramic washers on the Yamaha like there used to be on the Sea-Doo. I think some people think they can ride one of these supercharged setups just like they do any other, but those of us who started years ago with Sea-Doos (the first supercharged PWC) soon learned there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. If you learn to modulate the throttle and let off when you're in the air, your clutch will last longer.

If you are planning on modifying the ski to hit speeds above the manufacturer's intention, then you will tend to have more problems, this is why some of the faster Yamahas are going to turbos.

We have two FZ's with about 250 hrs each on them. Personally, I have found them to be extremely reliable; here is my experience with the stock Yamaha system...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...urs+perfection

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Hello finsfanscott,
    There are no ceramic washers on the Yamaha like there used to be on the Sea-Doo. I think some people think they can ride one of these supercharged setups just like they do any other, but those of us who started years ago with Sea-Doos (the first supercharged PWC) soon learned there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. If you learn to modulate the throttle and let off when you're in the air, your clutch will last longer.

If you are planning on modifying the ski to hit speeds above the manufacturer's intention, then you will tend to have more problems, this is why some of the faster Yamahas are going to turbos. Personally, I have found them to be extremely reliable; here is my experience with the stock Yamaha system...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...urs+perfection
    I agree, It only makes sense that things might start to go wrong once you exceed what the manufacturers had intended.

If money isn't really an issue, the safest bet is to get a "later model" Supercharged Ski with the extended Yamaha Factory YESS Warranty. I would not get an off brand Warranty.

Else, I would give those 2007 FX HOs a good look. These would be great Skis and extremely durable and reliable for many years to come.

Regarding the Supercharger itself, the issue is if the Supercharger breaks it is very possible that it can take other parts with it (Gears, Bearings, etc). And this can be an expensive fix without a Warranty! JB

+1
    I wouldn't worry about the supercharger at all to be honest on a stock ski. My FZR (with the mods below) is used a ton in the ocean and not a single hiccup. A BOV would be nice insurance, but on a stock/ lightly modded ski I would not even think twice about the supercharger.

Keep in mind though, a big portion of reliability comes down to how you ride. I run my FZR hard in the ocean, but I'm also smart enough to lay off of the throttle if I get airborn.

8. +1 by:

Now this is an appropriate speed limit sign. dragon129's Avatar
    Thought I would chime in since I was sort of in the same situation. Exactly the same situation except the money. I had to go cheaper than a lot of folks. I bought an 09 FZS with 70 hours on it in September. Just from the info the owner gave me, it was ridden normally. Not ragged out but not babied. At hour 72, I had to change the clutch and upgraded to the 2103 set up. I rode it the same way, pinned the throttle some but mostly cruising, feathering the throttle from full on and not chopping it. Including the R&D tool, that was a little over a $800 fix. I also bought an 09 FXSHO about a month later with 92 hours on it. I put about 2 hours on it as well and it is still running great. Debated on going ahead and doing the clutch change on it but I think I'll wait until this one fails. Money is the determining factor right now. Who knows, it might run great for a while. Might not. I don't have enough seat time to comment whether or not the S/C is the way to go. Rest assured I'll won't be happy if the FZS has S/C issues anytime soon though. Oh yeah, both skis are mostly stock. See sig.

Ok, thanks folks,
    So an actual supercharger failure seems rare, it's the clutch that goes. Budget about 1k for the 2013 setup. Appreciate the input, I just need to decide where on the ladder I want to jump off...
    $5500 2006 FXHO
    $7200 2009 FX SHO
    $9500 2011 FX SHO
    $11k +\- (new) 2013 VXR

Hmmmm....

Again, appreciate all the comments and other help on the forum.
    Thx,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by finsfanscott View Post
    Ok, thanks folks,
    So an actual supercharger failure seems rare, it's the clutch that goes. Budget about 1k for the 2013 setup. Appreciate the input, I just need to decide where on the ladder I want to jump off...
    $5500 2006 FXHO
    $7200 2009 FX SHO
    $9500 2011 FX SHO
    $11k +\- (new) 2013 VXR

Hmmmm....

Again, appreciate all the comments and other help on the forum.
    Thx,
    A lot depends on where/ how you are going to ride. For example, on a lake I would recommend the VXR, but on the ocean the SHO or HO is going to be a better bet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information