Thread: Engine bogs out

Engine bogs out

My 2008 rxt x 255 took on a bunch of water fast. I'm assuming one of the pipes came off inside and shot water in it. Took it out and drained it. Wouldn't turn on, salt corroded some wires by the small fuse box. Got them sorted. Checked the oil and it looked milky brown. I assumed it was caused from water. Changed the oil, put brand new spark plugs too. Ski started fine. Left it over night came back started fine again but when I hooked up the Flyboard to it, after like 2 minutes it started to bog and shut off. Checked oil again looked a little off, kind of milky brown again. Changed it again. Took spark plugs out and started it with out plugs. No water came out, just gas mist. Spark plugs were also dry. With new oil it's still starts right up then after a 10-15 seconds it starts to bog out and shut down. Sorry for the novel just thought it would help u assess the problem better and give you a better understanding of where I'm at. Any ideas what's wrong and how to fix it? Also checked the pipes at the back and they seemed all connected so not sure how the water got in. Thanks for the help guys.

+1
    This is what people never want to hear. The chances of ongoing problems in a ski with that much salt water intrusion ia damn near 100%. You'll be chasing electrical demons forever not to mention what will happen to the underside of the engine. You probably also have water between the hulls now.

Did this sit for any time after it went down?

No. As soon as it started sinking, I took it out of the water, drained it, washed it with fresh water, and wd40 everything. I know I will be having electrical issues all the time, I already do. But what do I do now? Doesn't seem like an electrical problem as everything starts. Just bogs out after 10 seconds now. Thanks for the reply.

+1
    How old is the fuel in the tank?
    When is the last time you ran fuel Injector cleaner thru it?
    I use Lucas fuel injector cleaner that also neutralizes old fuel.

+1 with salt water intrusion if its not serviced and fixed immediately your going to have ongoing issues POP up.

+1
    Old fuel kills plugs and you will need new plugs after old fuel burnt out or pumped.

+1
    bad fuel is usually the cause as he stated. Could also be failing power somewhere. spark or fuel. If you had a fuel pressure gauge it would be easy to tell which one it is.

7. +1 by:

I have brand new spark plugs and new fuel in the ski. After about 3 hours of letting it sit there I tried again and it seemed to start fine and run. I didn't do anything and not sure why it decided to fix itself but I am sure there is more to the problem. Does anyone know a seadoo mechanic who would like to fly out to St.Kitts and do a full tune up on my skis. We don't have any service centers here or anyone who fixs seadoos as its a small island. I would put them up in a hotel and pay for the flight. I'd prefer someone to come in on Saturday and assess then if I needed parts I could express them Monday morning. If anyone is interested please msg me on here or email me at [email protected]. I could really use the servicing and a crash course on basic seadoo maintenance. Thanks

+1
    you need to spray off all the electronics and the entire inside of the craft then dry it out completely. Then you need to pull all of your electrical connections, wash them down with clean, filtered water, dry them out thoroughly, cover them all with dielectric grease, plug them back in.

If it were me I would deal with my oil like this. Change you oil with cheap crap oil about 3 times and use seafoam for the first 2 changes to collect any moisture and clean things up. Each time run the machine for 3 minutes, let it cool then run it again for another 3 minutes. Move on to the next change. After the three crap changes change to good oil and run the machine til it dies.

Salt is very rough and and has one helluva melting point so it stays in the combustion chamber. If you were able to get salt contaminated oil on the cylinder walls or had some in the combustion chamber and it caught a ring then you have little wall scratches that decrease performance and lead to possible ring blow by.

Salt water is nasty shit.

+1
    You can find everything you need here on this forum.
    Just type in what your looking for into the search function.
    No need to fly someone there when you can read about it here.

11. +1 by:

+1
    Check for water in fuel and usually when they sink water gets into the intake i'm a master cert brp tech, u supply ticket plus $ for doing it I'm there.... been working in a dealership for 9 years I've been the head tech for 5.... so far have not had a job I couldnt fix but yes salt is hard on skis..... we recommend washing inside and out after every use and use Seadoo lube on everything

Thread Information