+1

Is the 87mm nozzle really worth it?

On my 03 1300r I have the 85mm nozzle so I'm told. Everyone says I should buy the 87mm but I dont see how 2mm can really make that much of a difference. is there something else that I'm not understanding? I mean yamaha went back to 87 for the 05-08 so there has to be something.

Now Riva sells it for $155 but isn't it just the stock one on the 1200r? couldn't I just buy one used?

Thanks,
    CJ

+1
    no, 03-08 GPRs have 85mm

87mm works best with the old style pump... its been back to back tested years ago

just find a used one IMO

+1
    I might have an 87 laying around.

+1
    hmm how much for it? and you can't say free this time Steve! the stub shaft and now the spacer for the virage, I'm starting to feel guilty

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ's gpr View Post
    .......I dont see how 2mm can really make that much of a difference.

....couldn't I just buy one used?
    CJ
    Short answer is that yes it can be a tad quicker.

I don't think it makes a hill of beans difference unless you are grudge racing with your buddies, have the right impeller to work efficiently with that venturi, power to weight ratio..... etc. Unless you have something to compare it to, like in the case of racing against someone, or a tach, you will not be able to tell much of a difference between the two just riding on your own.

My point here is that there is nothing dramatic about the change, it is subtle. If you are racing, everything under the boat matters. If you are just cruising, don't bother spending the money.

One thing that you can do that is just as measureable as changing venturis. If you were to remove your pump and venturi, you will notice that a lip or high spot is created where the inside of the pump and venturi mate. (Run your finger across the two inside edges to confirm this.) This causes disruption of water flow when it leaves the pump and enters the venturi. If you remove that lip, you will remove that disruption and water should flow smoothly helping to make your boat slightly faster.

All of the big boys did these kinds of mods to incrementally get their boats faster or quicker... changing venturis or blueprinting pumps and venturis. Subtle changes. It was not about raw power, it is about efficiency. Your 1300 as it is set up will only put out so much horsepower. It is up to you to make the WHOLE boat as efficient as possible with the given hp that you have.

... and yes, if you get one, a used one should be just as good.

+1
    Sorry all I have is an 85.
    hmm how much for it? and you can't say free this time Steve! the stub shaft and now the spacer for the virage, I'm starting to feel guilty

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Sorry all I have is an 85.
    Ok that's fine, lmk when you get that spacer out. Thanks again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    .......I dont see how 2mm can really make that much of a difference.

....couldn't I just buy one used?
    CJ
    Short answer is that yes it can be a tad quicker.

I don't think it makes a hill of beans difference unless you are grudge racing with your buddies, have the right impeller to work efficiently with that venturi, power to weight ratio..... etc. Unless you have something to compare it to, like in the case of racing against someone, or a tach, you will not be able to tell much of a difference between the two just riding on your own.

My point here is that there is nothing dramatic about the change, it is subtle. If you are racing, everything under the boat matters. If you are just cruising, don't bother spending the money.

One thing that you can do that is just as measureable as changing venturis. If you were to remove your pump and venturi, you will notice that a lip or high spot is created where the inside of the pump and venturi mate. (Run your finger across the two inside edges to confirm this.) This causes disruption of water flow when it leaves the pump and enters the venturi. If you remove that lip, you will remove that disruption and water should flow smoothly helping to make your boat slightly faster.

All of the big boys did these kinds of mods to incrementally get their boats faster or quicker... changing venturis or blueprinting pumps and venturis. Subtle changes. It was not about raw power, it is about efficiency. Your 1300 as it is set up will only put out so much horsepower. It is up to you to make the WHOLE boat as efficient as possible with the given hp that you have.

... and yes, if you get one, a used one should be just as good.

I do like to race for fun with friends once in a while. My setup will be much different by the next riding season, already bought some new parts including a 13/19 concord setback. Maybe if I find one for the right price I'll pick it up but from what I'm understanding it doesn't make a huge difference.

Thread Information