+1

Corrosion prevention and bolt removal

I've read several intake grate and pump posts about removing stuck bolts and when replacing with new,to use antiseize on the threads.As someone who has 2 older ski's(1998 GP and 2000XL LTD) I've run into a couple of stuck and broken bolts.Is there a possibility of these replaced bolts with ant-seize loosening? Anything I've replaced I covered the bolt with BlueLoctite.I figured I could loosen that with heat.Am I wrong? Also, is there a "life" to these bolts? I know that older porsche head bolts were only one use.I welcome comments and criticism.

BTW I'll use a eze-out on a stripped screw,never on a broke bolt.Asking for trouble if you do.

+1
    After I broke 2 rusted sponson bolts I started always using anti-seize on all the bolts on the outside of the ski. pump tunnel, sponsons, ride plate, etc. Especially on the salt water, really makes removing bolts a lot easier.

I still need to get those broken sponson bolts out, why would you not use an easy out? what would be a better approach?

+1
    Heat(preferred oxy/acet) if possible.Just had several eze-out break.THEN "yoos up the creek with no paddle" Too hard to drill out.I've heard Kroll Oil works best, also heard about a product called Gibbs Brand penetrating on a porshe website.Never tried it
    I'm in salt water too.

+1
    well the problem is, once the bolt snaps, you have nothing to grab unless you use something like an ez out. Heat and penetrating oils do go along with it but i don't see how you can turn a broken bolt. unless there is enough of it sticking out where you can grab it with pliers, unfortunately thats not my case.

+1
    Unfortunately that's what usually happens.I took my stuff to someone(mechanical contractor) with a Tig and he welded a blob on it and heated it and was able to use visegrips on it.If you're somewhere where you can't get heat to it,I'd try drilling and retapping next size

Thread Information