Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thinking about getting a 150 Speedster

I need some idea from my friends here on Green Hulk!

The wife and I have been doing the PWC/ATV/Jeep thing for the past 10 years at have had a blast.....well, we guess we must be slowing down a bit and looking to downsize the fleet some.

She isn't really interested in operating her own machine we found out last year when we acquired a SXS, so now her ATV is going. She is now telling me she would rather just be a passenger in a boat and take our dog with us rather than being on separate skis.

A normal sporty family fish/ski boat comes to mind from a cost, ride, and comfort standpoint....but I like to run on the river some where it can get down to 2-3' deep, so a jet is a plus. We also need it to be short like a 150 Speedster so when towing behind our 5th wheel we can stay under or near 65' combined length.

We don't ski or board as of yet, but mainly just like to go to the lake after work every one night a week and then on the weekends. I don't fish either, but might start as it's a whole lot safer and cheaper than some of the other activities I do now! I do however need a quick ride that isn't stupid on fuel either.

The way I figure, my wife's Kawi 12F has 120hp, only weighs 900lb, and is a slug....so the 155hp Speedster isn't going to cut it....however I don't expect it to be as quick as my Kawi 260x either.

These boats are a little harder to find over here on the west coast. Lost of old skool 2 strokes within 2-300 miles, but if I want a clean 215/255 boat, I have only found 2 or 3 within 800 miles of here.

One I found, 2008 215HP with a wake tower, cover, and a claimed 9 hours on the clock has an asking price of $19,500! Is this a little out of line? Seems like that is what they sold for new 6 years ago?

There is a pretty clean 2003 155hp with bimini and cover for $8,995. Forgot to look at hours, but there was a small spot back near the pump intake that had been repaired. It looked sound, but the cosmetics of that repair left a little to be desired. The radio didn't work either. This is a little much I think too for the condition.

I'm not overly concerned about the price and fully intend to pay what a boat is worth, but seriously? There are tons of boats as you head east for 1/2 the price!

What are your thoughts?

+1
    Buy a 2008 or newer seadoo boat.
    They worked out almost all there issues in the 08 and newer models.
    19k for a 08 is crazy.
    I just saw a 2011 in Florida with around 30 hrs for 12k.

I was thinking 12-14K for the 2008 would be fair. It does look new in the pictures though.....

+1
    With only 9 hrs I'd have it hooked up to buds or a Candoo to verify the hrs.

Also its not good when they sit.
    Exhaust valves are known to get rust on them when sitting for so long.

Nada prices are usually pretty close to what they are worth.
    I know that tower alone is big $$$$

Are you only interested in seadoo? The yami 212x. Is a good little boat, and a very popular and easy to repair motors as well. It uses The same HO motor they have in the fx skis, very solid platform.

+1
    Bought 2009-215 hp w/12 hours and one year left on extended warranty for $8,500 w/trailer that has disc surge brakes.
    Saw one recently in the $9k. Most want in the teens, but they can be found, make cash offers. great boat, best handling i've had and have had a 40' Fountain w/2-540 ci-2k hp, 30 ft. Scarab w/2-454 big blocks & BM blowers, 2008 Seadoo RXT-X stage 2 and i thought i'd be disappointed. it will do a 360 wide open and turns like 90 degrees and surprising in 2-3 ft. chop. A dream, as i can even keep in my garage, uses antifreeze, so no heavy winterizing, etc.
    Also, 50 mph even feels faster than 75-80 mph did on the PWC. So much lower and closer to the water. I've only done the impeller to a Solas i used on a 05 RXT that made a huge difference. Going to do intake grate, charger, external cooler, thru the transom exhaust, 4" air intake and injectors this winter and buy all from the Green Hulk as i've done for 3 PWC's now. The best for knowledge and prices.Attachment 321205

I'm not all that partial to the Seadoo, but the Yamaha 212 is out as it is too long. I need the overall length to be around 16-17' on the trailer. The Yamaha would be well over 23'.

I'll keep looking as I'm not in a big hurry, but it seems to be slim picking out here on the left coast.

Thanks for the input!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    check vegas/lake meade..two strokes are a bargain there ..assuming of course you can go with one.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    check vegas/lake meade..two strokes are a bargain there ..assuming of course you can go with one.
    I have been looking with search engines that hit many different areas/sites and have seen a few down there. I don't want an old boat and especially one with twin two strokes. This will have to be something I can use and maintain as I don't have the time or desire to restore someone's used up POS.

Ideal would be new a 2012 left over 255hp.....

Wouldn't the regional price differences make it worth the trip to pick up one that is a better deal?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information