Thread: DIY Emm repair

DIY Emm repair

Hello everyone,

With a lot of help from K447 I found myself with an emm fault. It was a a short on the wires going to the fuel injectors. The cause was an IGBT inside the emm having a short from gate to emitter. It has been swapped out with the spare one inside the emm.

I am after anyone who knows where to buy the silicone gel from so I can refill the emm.
    and
    While i have the emm open I would like to replace the C89 capacitor but I cant seem to locate any where that sells them. Has anyone ever sourced one of these caps?

Regards

Rowdy

+1
    I don't know what gel they use from the factory, and I know nothing about silicone gels, however a quick Google search of "silicone potting gels" retrieved me a lot of results.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy72 View Post
    ... I would like to replace the C89 capacitor but I cant seem to locate any where that sells them. Has anyone ever sourced one of these caps? ...
    I expect a place like Digikey would have an appropriate replacement, but I have not yet actually hunted down the best cross references.

The key is to not only be a close physical match but also have sufficient specs to withstand the heat, vibration, etc.

http://www.dalchem.com.au/index.php?...art&Itemid=121

This is the silicone i ended up using to refill the emm. It was easy to use and is a bit firmer than the old gel that was in there. I have successfully tested the emm on the water now with a 6 hour run , of skiing and kneeboarding without any troubles.

Total cost of DIY repairs at home was $105 Aus .

I still have enough Gel left over for another repair if needed.

I did not replace C89 as I could not get one either the correct size ( dimensions) or temperature rating. The hardest part is it must be an axial capacitor not a radial one which makes it harder to source. As it is the middle of summer here I got impatient and put it back together as I want to use it as often as i can.

Cheers

Rowdy

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy72 View Post
    http://www.dalchem.com.au/index.php?...art&Itemid=121

This is the silicone i ended up using to refill the emm. It was easy to use and is a bit firmer than the old gel that was in there. I have successfully tested the emm on the water now with a 6 hour run , of skiing and kneeboarding without any troubles.

Total cost of DIY repairs at home was $105 Aus .

I still have enough Gel left over for another repair if needed.

I did not replace C89 as I could not get one either the correct size ( dimensions) or temperature rating. The hardest part is it must be an axial capacitor not a radial one which makes it harder to source. As it is the middle of summer here I got impatient and put it back together as I want to use it as often as i can.

Cheers

Rowdy

Do let me know if you find a good spec. substitute source for the C89 capacitor.

Thread Information