1986 Jet ski 550 - Question about primer valve and circuit

Hi guys, I just bought my first jet ski, a 1986 js550. The ski has been in storage for 20+ years and the primer kit lines rotted down and fell. A few modifications were done to the ski by the previous owner and it no longer has fuel valve selector, and the carb seems to be running on the reserve line. Looks like the primer kit was also plugged to the reserve line. (T-connector after fuel filter is missing the hose and fuels comes out of there when its running, so I assume this fuel goes to the primer valve?)

Question is, is it safe to run the primer from the reserve/main carb line? I read that air leaks in the carb feed can create a lean condition and fry the engine. Is it better to run primer from the return line? (I assume return is the lower line that goes from the carb back to the fuel tank, and not the hose that goes from the carb to the flywheel, right?).

Sorry, this is my first PWC. I've had dirt bikes in the past, but never had to mess around with prime kits.

Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by cgonzal1 View Post
    Question is, is it safe to run the primer from the reserve/main carb line? I read that air leaks in the carb feed can create a lean condition and fry the engine. Is it better to run primer from the return line? (I assume return is the lower line that goes from the carb back to the fuel tank, and not the hose that goes from the carb to the flywheel, right?).
    Theoretically your worry is very valid. However, I have 2 standup skis with primer at the main supply line and no such too lean failure for last 10+ years. Just make sure you use high quality fuel line. I use Tygon tubing that's used on ultra light aircraft. A bit expensive but they last super long time and super strong. Also they come in many different semi-see through colors.

Also the previous owner's mod is very common on small tank standup skis - I've done the exact same thing. Two reasons. 1. Those fuel selector valve goes bad quite often causing hard starting (internal rubber part deterioation). 2. You get more riding time.

Thank you, Meangreenman, will follow your advice.

+1
    Since the return line goes to the top of the tank, the primer won't draw fuel from it.

Thread Information