Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

2008 FX HO vs 2013 FX HO - Fuel Consumption

Hey Folks,

I bought a used 2008 FX HO last year and I've been extremely happy, super reliable and insanely good fuel consumption there is nothing but good stuff to be said about this ski so I'm hoping to get another one. I'm having hard time finding one with low hours and in good condition so I'm thinking about getting a newer model with 1.8L engine but I'm worried that won't even come close to MR1 when it comes to fuel consumption, any one has tried both that can provide me with some fuel consumption numbers, range etc ?

+1
    They are not even close Don. It's nearly twice the engine size. But, for what it's worth, the new ones w/ the 1.8 should get 6-6.5 mpg. +/- 100 miles before you're on the low fuel buzzer. Thats about what I'm getting.

+1
    I'm just hoping nearly twice the engine size doesn't translate into nearly twice as much fuel consumption

Smile 1.8 Fuel consumption

I ride regularly with a mate who has the MR1 2008 FX HO and the fuel consumption is closer than the others suggest.
    We do a ride which is 55klms down and back and I get on the buzzer about 10 mins before he does. My 2012 ski has a 70 litre tank and not sure what in his but the range is close enough. As with any Ski if you stay off full throtle then the fuel goes a long way.
    I did the same ride with a Kawa 300x a couple of weeks ago and he could not reach the destination so we had to turn back when he reached half a tank, even so he was still on the buzzer a long way from the ramp and I was fine with just under half a tank left.

Not much different in top speeds betwen the two, only a couple of mph so I just walk away from him rather than run. Where I get him is the take off (hole shot) as the 1.8 has a lot of power\torque.

I have put on over 130 hours in about 15 months and love the ski, just so reliable.

Hope this helps,

Dave
    Black FXHO 2012

+1
    Very close!!!
    In cruising at 40, MR1 can be a lot better BUT when you going balls out, very close...

I would full tank, the MR-1 will give you about 15 miles better range in the best case scenario...The 1.8L turns much lower RPM.

I have ridden both. I have friends who ride with me too. 15 miles is more like 5-7 miles. Best case and I mean best case is close to 15 miles better on MR1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    Very close!!!
    In cruising at 40, MR1 can be a lot better BUT when you going balls out, very close...

I would full tank, the MR-1 will give you about 15 miles better range in the best case scenario...The 1.8L turns much lower RPM.

I have ridden both. I have friends who ride with me too. 15 miles is more like 5-7 miles. Best case and I mean best case is close to 15 miles better on MR1
    This doesn't sound bad at all, i usually cruise at around 35mph if i'm going to see ~15 miles difference crusing at ~35 i will be a happy camper

+1
    fx 160 about 12gph @ wot. fx with 1.8 13.8gph @ wot

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DonHy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    Very close!!!

This doesn't sound bad at all, i usually cruise at around 35mph if i'm going to see ~15 miles difference crusing at ~35 i will be a happy camper
    It will be hard to cruise at just 35 w/ that big motor Don !!!

+1
    Thanks everyone for your input. One last question
    Based on the wot numbers if riding at slower speeds/rpm will the difference between less noticeable?

+1
    difference at low speed is more noticeable...Faster speed, it is less noticeable. You see you can hold the throttle wide open and burn lots of gas, if you reduce the throttle like 1/8th gas mileage improves immediately. When MR1 is at WOT the 1.8 is below WOT so MR1 burns max gas and 1.8 does not. That is the point that they become almost IDENTICAL.

To me gas mileage of 1.8 and MR1 very close in most cases...Don't let that bother you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information