Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First Post, New VXR question about dealer service on 4 stokes.

Well, I bit the bullett and bought a VXR. I have never owned a 4 stroke ski or ridden a 4 stroke ski.
    Owned many other 2 stroke yamaha waverunners and outboards including my current 2011 Superjet.

I am really looking forward to taking her home but had a question you guys may be able to answer.

This is the first new waverunner I have owned. Will the dealer let me do my own oil changes on it or does it have to be done while under warranty by the dealer?

Not entirely a big deal, but I have a fleet of boats and do all the maintaince myself to save $$.

Will the dealer let me do my own oil changes if I use Yamaha filters and oil?- Any quirks with these VXR's that I haven't found on the forum?

Thanks!

+1
    Don't know about the oil part as I didn't get an extra warranty and two years later of me adding performance parts and doing all the maintenance myself not one hiccup. Also this is my first water toy of any kind as well. You might want to get a Grate so you won't potentially get bucked as a few have posted they have. I myself have not. Ride it like you stole it and you will love it.

no---you are not required to have any of the service done at the dealer (same as on a car).

If you do it the service yourself, make sure to keep the receipts for the oil and filter as proof it was done in case there's a question.

You are also not required to use genuine Yamaha filters and oil---just a comparable quality. (I do use Yamaha oil filters even thought they're a bit pricey (about $20!---but better than the $120 my dealer wants to change the oil!)

Thanks for the tips, guys!! Picking her up Friday after work! Can't wait to run her.. Is it really fuel efficient as boattest.com says? I think that is pretty incredible and think it should burn about he same as my 701 superjet.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaler21 View Post
    Thanks for the tips, guys!! Picking her up Friday after work! Can't wait to run her.. Is it really fuel efficient as boattest.com says? I think that is pretty incredible and think it should burn about he same as my 701 superjet.
    Just depends on how you put your hands in the throttle. I would say light cruising and playing pretty rough is at least 3-4hrs. I have never ran it to the buzzer and keep gas at the truck. But when I used to just go and play I never refilled me then 10-11 gallons. So i believe it has more than enough.

Have fun with your new vxr! Make sure you have a good grip when you open it up for the first time

Thanks to all! I picked her up Friday after work.. Put a coat of wax on her in the freezing cold then put her cover on and sent her to bed for the next 2 months. It was hard to say goodbye!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Whaler21 View Post
    Thanks to all! I picked her up Friday after work.. Put a coat of wax on her in the freezing cold then put her cover on and sent her to bed for the next 2 months. It was hard to say goodbye!
    This is the time to spend some money on some cheaper mods.

What all can I do that will not void my warranty? I did go for the 5 years of YES and dont' want to jeapordize any of that!

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Thats going to be between you and the Dealer that does any warranty repair, some Dealers are more forgiving on Mods than others, best to have a good releationship with your Dealer....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information