2003 XLT 1200 Questions/Opinions

Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to jet skis and just picked up a 2003 XLT 1200 Waverunner that has a "blown" motor for what i thought was a good deal. I have been doing some research on this site and others and am finding it looks like more that what i wanted to spend to rebuild the motor. I was wanting to stay under $1000 but looks like to rebuild it for the long term it would take closer to $2000. So here is my question what is this ski worth with a fresh motor. At this point am i just better off to part it out, sell it whole with the blown motor, or rebuild the motor. and if so what is a ballpark of what it would be worth whole with a blown motor? Also if i was to have the motor rebuild professionally(i may do it myself if i go that route) who is a good builder of these motors?

being new this this world i really appreciate any and all advice and guidance.

Thanks, Andrew

+1
    I have the same ski. Not sure what you paid for it so not sure what you'd want to put into it to make it 'worth while'.
    pricing will vary, I find its regional. Where are you located?

the cheapest route will likely be a used motor, but thats always a risk. knowing condition/hours/use, etc.

If the rest of your ski is mint & stock, not needing anything else with low hours, I'd think a blown motor ski might be worth ~$1000 depending on condition, etc
    With a rebuild.. maybe $2300+ As you probably know, rebuilt all depends on quality of parts & workmanship. Shop labor doesn't come cheap.

Im sure a lot of shops will come forward with a rebuild quote, finding someone qualified locally will likely be the best bet(i.e. Not the dealer)

in NY Carl @ Island Racing (long Island) comes recommended. Best of luck. XLT's are fun when running right.

I am near Milwaukee WI, I paid $500 for it with no trailer(I have a boat that i slip and should have room for it in my slip) and it is in overall good condition it has some docking scuffs ect but i think it will clean up well. it had 170 hours so from what i have seen i would be advisable to do a new or rebuilt crank right? I have not done a compression test yet because i need to go get a battery, I will be doing so in the next few days. I was told the motor was "blown" it would run and move at about 2 mph but that was all and it would not idle. so it is my assumption it will need a rebuild. any thoughts are appreciated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00p0p_leNGPFNJiry_600x450.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	321304Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140108_195051.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	321305

+1
    well, $500 is a good deal. even if you throw $2K at it, for $2500, you will have a freshly rebuilt ski that has a brand new motor(er'..rebuilt) but with $2K in work, you can have it pretty dam near new/completely rebuild. I would think that includes a prop, D-plate, wave eaters, intake crate, etc. (thats if your doing the work yourself anyhow)

I haven't ridden a lot of ski's but I really like mine. its a very capable ski. sure, a new $15K ski is better, but for the money, this is a lot of fun & good enough for most.

3 seater, able to tow, very stable, can easily do 60+ mph, very reliable, excellent in the chop, good holeshot w/ prop, drinks like any 2 stroke ski of 1200cc

Banned User
    +1
    If you only have 500 in it, who cares what you spend to make it nice and reliable if you plan to keep it for a few years? If you are not planning on keeping it around for a few years then it would not be wise to throw a bunch of money at it. Even if you end up into it for 1000 more than its technically worth and you sell it in lets say 3 years, it cost you 1000 bucks to ride it for 3 years. These older skis won't be losing much more value, and that a lot less than a newer machine would depreciate in those 3 years. When you get into skis that are more than 10 years old, you will almost always spend more than they are worth to make them seaworthy and reliable. Most of my machines have been bought this way. I have over 4000 in a ski thats technically worth 2000, but its gorgeous, almost perfect. New motor last year. I will not find any ski this nice for 4000 bucks.

I guess what I am saying is don't get too hung up on spending more than its worth, as long as you don't go crazy overboard. These are not investments, they are toys. Make it into what you want it to be, keep it, ride it, and enjoy it. Look more at what it would cost to buy a similar ski in GOOD running and working condition, including what you would have to spend on that ski to make it reliable after you buy it. You will already be ahead of the game, having a new motor as opposed to something used, that you have no idea how it was cared for prior to you purchasing it.

I see you are in the Milwaukee area. Where do you have your slip that you will be storing the ski? I am always on Lake Michigan. If you want to go out there for a ride, look me up. Its a great time, and way more fun than any inland lake can ever be!!!

Banned User
    +1
    By the way, John Zigler is a member on here. He owns Watcon. His website is Watcon.com and he is in Janesville. I go to him for a lot of my stuff. He can get you anything you need all the way up to a full rebuild of the motor. He is a great guy and incredibly knowledgeable. Highly recommended by a lot of the members here.

Thread Information