+1

Help a future Newbie decide

I realize that this is the Sea Doo forum. I am also asking on Kawi hoping to gather all info and make my decision.

I am shopping for my first PWC. I had been browsing used machines. Then I found a couple of shops in my area that have some left-over units. I have been negotiating with them for a little while. I am in no hurry, so am taking my time to find a ‘good buy’. I am in my early 40’s. I have a 17 y/o son and a 7 y/o son still at home with a 20 y/o son in the Navy. I live in eastern coastal florida with a boat ramp less than a mile from my house. Probably some cruising on my own and with friends. Possibly some pull-sports with my boys occasionally. Sometimes riding 2-up with my youngest, rarely 3-up to go explore some islands/beaches in our area. I am able to maintain a lot on my own and have always maintained our motorcycles and vehicles

After some dealing, and walking away a few times from deals, I have been made 2 offers from dealers in my area.
    NEW 2011 Kawasaki Ultra 300x for $9800 OTD price with trailer
    NEW 2012 Sea Doo 155 gtx for $10,200 OTD price with trailer

I like the Sea Doo and I think that it will have plenty of power with my recreation/leisure goals and I like the idea of ibr. No SC to worry about maintaining.

But, the Ultra 300x is a GREAT price for NEW, it is under NADA value for used. Lots of storage/cargo. And fast/fun if/when we decide that we want it. Reportedly handles the 'chop' better, which we get some being on the ocean and intracoastal.

Both, being new, come with manufacturer's warranty.

Can any of you experienced riders help me decide between the two?

+1
    I'm a Seadoo gear head and speed/performance are two things very high on my requirements list. That being said if someone had a gun to my head and I was forced to buy one of these two for the stated price I'd get the Kawi 300x.

That being said I think the Kawi is a huge ugly cow. However, very true that in a straight line in the chop the Kawi is very tough to beat... but at 1040lbs it better be.

The GTX at 155hp won't be super exciting. Most people that I know out grow the 130/155hp skis in their first year. Might be a good hand-me-down ski to Jr. after you get bored with it so you can upgrade to a supercharged ski.

+1
    Thanks. The hand-me-down theory is plausible. I had it in the back of my mind that we would see how we handle this first ski, learning riding and maintenance, then possibly getting him one next year. But, we could 'hand-down' either of these skis.

I do appreciate your input. Thanks.

+1
    That 300x is a smoking deal and I can't see you regretting it. You'll love the power vs the GTX 155.

+1
    No doubt the 300X between the two especially at that price. I'd go 300x even if it was 10.5K out the door.

These machines are made to have fun. More power will always make more fun in a situation like your in. Just remember it also means more gas. By the way the area you ride are you able to get 91 octane fuel on the water if needed??????

The Kaw. is going to handle the ocean much better than the GTX. Not even close.

+1
    I got it. The 2011 Ultra 300x for the $9790 OTD including trailer.
    Below is a pic that I took just before pulling away from the dealer this evening.
    Attachment 321429

+1
    Great find you won't be disappointed.

Thread Information