Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Help a future Newbie decide

I realize that this is the Kawasaki forum. I am also asking on Sea Doo hoping to gather all info and make my decision.

I am shopping for my first PWC. I had been browsing used machines. Then I found a couple of shops in my area that have some left-over units. I have been negotiating with them for a little while. I am in no hurry, so am taking my time to find a ‘good buy’. I am in my early 40’s. I have a 17 y/o son and a 7 y/o son still at home with a 20 y/o son in the Navy. I live in eastern coastal florida with a boat ramp less than a mile from my house. Probably some cruising on my own and with friends. Possibly some pull-sports with my boys occasionally. Sometimes riding 2-up, rarely 3-up to go explore some islands/beaches in our area. I am able to maintain a lot on my own and have always maintained our motorcycles and vehicles

After some dealing, and walking away a few times from deals, I have been made 2 offers from dealers in my area.
    NEW 2011 Kawasaki Ultra 300x for $9800 OTD price with trailer
    NEW 2012 Sea Doo 155 gtx for $10,200 OTD price with trailer

I like the Sea Doo and I think that it will have plenty of power with my recreation/leisure goals and I like the idea of ibr. No SC to worry about maintaining.

But, the Ultra 300x is a GREAT price for NEW, it is under NADA value for used. Lots of storage/cargo. And fast/fun if/when we decide that we want it. Reportedly handles the 'chop' better, which we get some being on the ocean and intracoastal.

Both, being new, come with manufacturer's warranty.

Can any of you experienced riders help me decide between the two?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaJim View Post
    I realize that this is the Kawasaki forum. I am also asking on Sea Doo hoping to gather all info and make my decision.
    Welcome to the Hulk, this is the yamaha forum but no problem. I've never been on either ski but honestly the 300x sounds more appealing. I mean the thing is pure power where the gtx is more a rec type ski I believe. the 300 has the best rep for being the king of the ocean. just cuts through the chop.

Of course being partial to yamaha I'd say look for an fzs or fx series.

+1
    Thanks, CJ. I realized my posting mistake after posted. But, having no brand loyalty yet, I welcome input from anybody willing to give it.

+1
    Click here if you'd like to see the multitude of suggestions and advice that I got when looking. In addition to the information there, I want to point out to you that your ski(s) will not remain pristine if this is your first ski. What I mean is, I pride myself on taking care of my stuff. However, I was quite ignorant of how to handle any watercraft when I bought mine and have had some damage (scuffs, scrapes, and even an episode of overheating) that I never ever thought I would incur/cause.

So be prepared to not be an expert rider your first time out and try not to beat yourself up when you give it a nick or two.

+1
    Gti is an all most bullet proof machine..
    Alot less maintaining needed for the doo than the kaw..
    Also get the max warranty possible for any machine you pick. I sold a 2010 gti to a family 2 years ago and it had 25 hrs on it..
    Just saw them at the lake about a month ago and its almost got 300 hrs.. they ride every week and havent had any issues..
    They have 4 sons and they ride it all day constantly switching riders..only complaint the dad had was the fact that he didnt get 2 skis.....

+1
    Thanks for your input, guys. I enjoyed reading about your purchasing adventures, DrivingZiggy. All that leg work last May makes it sound a little like what I have been doing for the past few weeks.... Less the rig and multi-state shopping.

+1
    And the real kick in the pants? I brought them in for service more locally--about 70 miles away. This was a dealer I had called before making my deal and the salesman told me that he didn't need to make any deals because he had just moved 20 units the week before. So when I told him what I ended up paying, he said that he would have let me have them for the same amount!

+1
    My apologies to all the Sea Doo and Yamaha guys. I do thank you all for your input and expertise.

But, I purchased the Kawasaki Ultra 300x this evening. Now, just waiting for warmer weather. Which for us means maybe 2-weeks. Hell, who am I kidding? I may have it in the water tomorrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	321430

Quote Originally Posted by FlaJim View Post
    My apologies to all the Sea Doo and Yamaha guys. I do thank you all for your input and expertise.

But, I purchased the Kawasaki Ultra 300x this evening. Now, just waiting for warmer weather. Which for us means maybe 2-weeks. Hell, who am I kidding? I may have it in the water tomorrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	321430
    Congrats on the new ski! Did you get it in today?

+1
    No, I got busy this morning and ended up not messing with the ski until this evening. Based on some advice from others, I pulled the plugs and applied some anti seize, and applied some dielectric around the plug boots (there wasn't any on at all). I did hook up the hose and cranked it up just so that I could hear it run for a minute. I got excited and giggled like a school girl. I'm glad nobody was around. It isn't a pretty sight seeing a 40-something guy giggle like a school girl.

I am back on a 24-hour shift tomorrow. Supposed to be freezing when I get off work on Tuesday morning with this cold front. Supposed to be colder for the next 10 days. But, being north florida, it won't last long. If it lasts too long, I'll break out one of my scuba wetsuits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information