MSX150 in Australia will not rev above idle

i just won a msx150 turbo on ebay in Australia

ol mate lied to me told me it was fine last time he rode it ,lied about hrs on it and the general condition

Anyways it turned up after a two day trip from melbourne to sunny coast qld ,eager to try it .filled with premium checked oils and coolant battery etc ,backed it in the drink ,started it and it sat there idling roughly i thought and just wouldnt respond to the throttle,

I checked that the rack had fuel pressure ,i checked the spark ,i pulled the map sensors out ,and the top one was missing the plastic bit on the end even the oring was gone .can and would that stop it reving and when replaced would it solve the problem ,

a polaris dealer on the gold coast felt sorry for me and said he cant get parts for it anywhere

can anyone shed some light on my problem
    Last edited by K447; 01-17-2014 at 08:40 AM.

msx150

just bought a msx 150 turbo on ebay and it wont rev past idle can anyone help

I would've thought that if it was related to the map sensor it'd display the check engine sign. Saying that, I still haven't got mine revving past 4600 so I'm definitely not an expert. Does it rev at all?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by phill wykamp View Post
    i just won a msx150 turbo on ebay in australia ,ol mate lied to me told me it was fine last time he rode it ,lied about hrs on it and the general condition ,anyways it turned up after a two day trip from melbourne to sunny coast qld ,eager to try it .filled with premium checked oils and coolant battery etc ,backed it in the drink ,started it and it sat there idling roughly i thought and just wouldnt respond to the throttle,ichecked that the rack had fuel pressure ,i checked the spark ,i pulled the map sensors out ,and the top one was missing the plstic bit on the end even the oring was gone .can and would that stop it reving and when replaced would it solve the problem ,a polaris dealer on the gold coast felt sorry for me and said he cant get parts for it anywhere can anyone shed some light on my problem
    Read up on this site about the Weber motors in the msx. There is tons of info and parts although not cheap are very easy to get for that engine.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

You cannot work through ebay to have the transaction reversed?

Certainly there is plenty of info available, and we can provide some help. See my signature links for a starting point. And the MSX section on Greenhulk has a bunch of good info.

+1
    That would be a good start. Sounds like a bad sensor & a potential boost leak right there.

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk! Sorry about your troubles...

After you started the ski... what RPM did it idle at?

After startup and the red light finishes it's startup flashing...are you getting any check engine light or flashing red light?

If the engine will not rev at all above an idle... and you're not getting any sort of trouble code or check engine light... I would start investigating here: 1. the throttle cable from the lever to the PPU unit under the bonnet 2. the PPU or PPU IFB units 3. wiring to/from PPU, PPU IFB or throttlebody (ETB) 4. bad ETB.

While it's possible it's a sensor issue... I can't imagine that you would get zero revs, zero ETB actuation.

Try the ETB relearn procedure to see if the ETB even works.

Seat off - Engine off - tap starter to "wake up" display... but not enough to start engine
    Do you hear a click and hum from ETB?
    Slowly squeeze throttle... do you hear a hum throttleplate sweeping sound from the ETB?

Let us know what you find.

Cheers!

+1
    I suggest you do both a LEAKDOWN & compression test to determine if the engine is worth repairing before spending any more $$

The suggestions RipCuda is giving you are correct;
    Start with the ETB reset procedure to see if it is functioning correctly.
    The rough idle & "no throttle" problem possibly suggests more than one problem..
    Try disconnecting the "raw water" temperature switch in the exhaust manifold & see if it helps the rough idle?

I've attached a few shortcuts that will help you a bit.
    These are only a few, so follow K447's advice and research all the MSX links. There's a ton of valuable information in this forum!!!

MSX-150 & 110 Main page & troubleshooting
    https://sites.google.com/site/polari...10-and-msx-150

No Response to throttle
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=184023&page=2

Oil Level
    https://sites.google.com/site/polari...10-and-msx-150

Oil Contamination & Overfilling
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...19#post1111619

MSX-150 Oil Tank
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...875#post680875

MSX-150 RPM help
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-for-a-MSX-150

Best regards,
    Randy
    Last edited by K447; 01-20-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Thread Information