Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Need help troubleshooting Code 48

I had this problem last summer and I never got around to fixing it. Well I want to fix it before this next season starts.

I'll start the ski up and it will read fine. After riding, it will start beeping, the voltage drops, and I check the code it reads 48 (incorrect data transmission). I've switched batteries, nada. Sometimes the display will go haywire, displaying all sorts of crap. Then the code will read normal.

Does anyone have any idea what this is? What's the most common cause of an incorrect data transmission code?

The ski is a Stage II 2003 GP1300R. I've swapped batteries and EFI controllers with no luck.

Any suggestions?

+1
    Check the plug for the display make sure it plugged all the way in. Also check your grounds.

+1
    Someone on here had a cluster problem and it turned out to be a speedometer problem. Follow the speedo wire up front from the port (left) side, unplug it and see.

+1
    That was me

Question thanks

I forgot to mention I did check the grounds. I'll check all wires leading to the cluster.

lvnspeed, how did you determine the cause of your problem and what did you do to fix it?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Just want to ride.
    +1
    Hello Nate!

I had a problem last summer with my display also; it would display everything, then go back to normal, then crazy again, etc. It turned out that the speedo sensor was bad, and it was shorting out the display!

Here's how I found the problem - there are 5 different plugs that go to the display - oil level, fuel level, speedo, ECM, and the buzzer. I unhooked them all, then reinstalled them one at a time to find my culprit. I did this at the lake, riding for a few minutes as I attached each cable to verify that wasn't the problem.

If you catch it now, before your display goes out, you'll save big $$$!

Good luck!
    Sean

+1
    Thanks for posting Sean.

+1
    I started unplugging one plug at a time until I got it to act correctly it acted correctly when the speedo was un plugged I replaced the speedo and it worked fine after that.

Thumbs up speedo

I hope it's going to be that simple for me. Was the voltage going up and down for you guys too? Mine would be at 9 volts, then it would go up to normal. Later, it would drop, and start beeping tripping the code again.

How much was the speedo sensor and who has good prices on them if I need one? Thanks again.

+1
    A charging system problem could be the cause also. Low voltage does all kind of strange things to these skis. Check your simple stuff first, then if there is still a problem, verify the charging system voltage with a DVOM. You can hook up a meter to the battery with the boat running and compare voltage readings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information