What kind of oil to use in 2012 RXT-X

Just wondering what kind of oil i should be using in my 2012 RXT-X 260?

Chris

+1
    Everyone has there favorite. Main thing is its JASO rated.

Personally I use Valvoline's motorcycle oil it cost about $2.99 or so a quart. Change it every 20-25 hours. Probably overkill but at that price its cheap insurance.

If you want to go full syn.(which isn't recommended by Seadoo) go with Amsoil. Very popular on here but will also run you about $8-$10 a quart.

Mobile also makes a decent one too.

If your changing oil sooner then later they'll all offer more then enough protection and it isn't worth thinking to hard over.

3. +1 by:

+1

Cool

Valvoline motorcycle oil wet clutch formula.
    Over 300 + s/c doos and not 1 oil related issue
    Black bottle.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you DO NOT want to run full synthetic oil on any supercharged Seadoo.

Amsoil brand has a syn that can be used and has documentation to back that up (I have seen it). No doubt our local amsoil guru might make an appearance here.

Go with less expensive oil and more frequent changes. My amsoil 0w-40 sythtic ATV motor oil is priced @ $9.50/qt

You'll find the oil ratings inside the circle on the bottle label..there will be several ratings present.

I use Castrol gtx 10/40 on all my services, never a problem, even for my waterskiing customers, but frequent changes as stated are inexpensive engine insurance and it really helps your resale value if you keep all receipts and notes in a service logbook.

I do get the waterskiing folks to come in in mid season for a change and then at end of season for winter prep I also change the oil.

So if you spend the extreme sums of $200 a year on oil changes consider the cost per year of a typical $4k engine replacement ( for whatever reason)..say you get 4 years out of an engine that$ a grand a year operating costs, $200 is a far better number and if you get an extra year or more out of an engine because of it, you are ahead of the curve.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    you DO NOT want to run full synthetic oil on any supercharged Seadoo.

Really??and why is that??If it is JASO MA/MA2 rated why can you NOT run it in our motors??There are many many many people out there running full Syn that is JASO MA/MA2 rated including myself...Amsoil is full Syn.Even Seadoo is now full syn...Seadoo used to recommend NOT using full synthetic because of the ceramic clutch washers..NOW that they do not use the ceramic clutches it is OK to use Syn oil as long as long as you use oil that is JASO MA/MA2 rated you are good...Syn or non Syn it does not matter....

7. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I did mention the amsoil as being acceptable synthetic. proper oil is a more widely available now, but there are still plenty of early model low hour seadoos with ceramic clutches in use. Pretty much my point on saying synthetic should not be used.

Case in point..new customer, came in with a badly slipping clutch. Bought a double trailer with one ski but there was 3 or 4 gallons of mobil one in the storage box. He used it on a do it yourself oil change and brought it in because it suddenly lost power ( tows a waterskiier) and it was leaking from the oil filter. Found the broken o-ring in the hull.s I assumed the oil was for the "other ski" that had been sold first. I'm doing that rebuild next month ( February work is heavily discounted labor wise)

I was looking for bulk oil this year and was amazed at the wide range of oils I could buy including bulk synthetics that were not rated for wet clutches.

Oh yeah..paint me surprised, but my ford 5 speed 4x4 gearbox uses dexron auto tranny fluid when I expected to be putting in some high end royal purple 90w gear oil or something of that ilk. Had I not researched it, I would have melted the gear box.

So what was I thinking?..confuse things enough so people would do a little more reading before deciding a specific type of oil is perfect for their application :=-))

+1
    This oil topic has been brought up and beat to death too many times on this forum...
    Hit the search function and you will find many many threads...

Quit beating a dead horse....

10. +1 by:

Thread Information