2001 two cylinder engine backfired through carbs, using starting fluid

Hello! I just put a 2001 together (red twin one carb. engin) together and I was not sure if it would crank so before I hooked up fuel lines I put a little starting juice in the carb. an cranked it and boom!!!! blew out my flame arrestor anyway I was thinking the timing was off . I checked the flywheel with mag side at tdc and looked into the hole on the flywheel cover it was at 0 checked pto side to the mag piston to see if there was a difference in height looked good the psi on compression test was 120 to 125 we had a new psi piston and and needed another so we got a new wsm. will that be a problem? having two different makes both are 81mm .and my last question is do you think by me using the starting fuild caused it togo Boom!!!
    Thanks catfish
    Last edited by catfish; 01-18-2014 at 01:44 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Do not use starting fluid on these engines.

If you need to prime the engine for diagnostics, use actual gasoline.

Why did you think the engine might not start? If the carburetor is internally clean and correctly adjusted, the engine should start.

So you had a hard backfire up through the carburetors. That means there was fire inside the crankcase and an air pressure pulse against the crank shaft end seals. If either or both the crank seals were damaged you need to replace them, which means taking the engine completely apart.

I have posted photos of a 900 engine that blew out the rear shaft seal due to backfiring. The engine sat in storage with the seal torn and the end result was a rusted bearing and a complete engine rebuild.

This is number three back from the dead! I will never try starter fluid again I had to change my pants !

I have five virage skis that had not ran since 03 . two 2000 an three 2001's three down an one to go the last one is for parts.

On the ski that backfired I checked all the seals,pulled the flywheel an mag,cleaned carb, put gas in it and away went verooom! perfect!

it was down due to a bad bearing on number cly. crank rod. I didn't know if it would crank because I didn't check the starter but work out ok its like a new ski!

thanks again K447
    Last edited by K447; 01-18-2014 at 06:03 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    This is number three back from the dead! I will never try starter fluid again I had to change my pants !

I have five virage skis that had not ran since 03 . two 2000 an three 2001's three down an one to go the last one is for parts.

On the ski that backfired I checked all the seals, pulled the flywheel an mag, cleaned carb, put gas in it and away went verooom! perfect!

it was down due to a bad bearing on number cly. crank rod. I didn't know if it would crank because I didn't check the starter but work out ok its like a new ski!

thanks again K447
    Did you check the PTO crank seals? There are dual seals on the domestic engines in later model years. An inner seal and an outer seal. Hopefully both seals are still good.

Did you replace all the crank seals when you had the crankshaft rebuilt?

You don't need starter fluid to check the starter motor for engine cranking

See my signature links for other common maintenance items. If the original fuel hoses are still present on any of those machines they should all be replaced with fresh fuel hoses.

I didn't check the enter seals. the backfire was not in the carb it was in the muffler it blew apart the plastic that goes out side

+1
    How is the charge on the battery?

+1
    ... blew out my flame arrestor ...
    I didn't check the enter seals. the backfire was not in the carb it was in the muffler it blew apart the plastic that goes out side
    Flame arrestor is mounted on the carburetors.

The plastic pieces in the exhaust system are called resonators.

the battery is fine the ski runs great.Where is morgan hill is that near concord ca.

+1
    About 1:15 south of concord

ok we are 45 min. east of modesto

Thread Information