Winter riding/fishing in Houston, TX: Comparison... SUV v FX/HO

2 very similar days friday and saturday this week. Took out 1 of the 04 suv's on Lake Livingston in 13 mph winds and ran 13 miles just to water test it since it has not been run since buying it out of a guy's garage up in Austin in Nov. It ran exceptionally well and topped out at 50 heading back into about 5kts and 1/2 foot slop. For the first time in a long time I have a 1200 where the speedo actually matches up in all throttle positions to gps.

Yesterday I took out the FXHO out in pretty much the same conditions and let me tell ya...there will be no Winter fishing off this ski LOL. I literally idled around in a small area for about 10 minutes and then put that sucker back up on the trailer. Pant legs soaked and frozen feet LOL. Sorry FX...thou shall be sold! 7mph more isn't worth a half year less ride time for this fisherman.

I'm sure there are some people wondering what the perfect fishing ski is so I wanted to at least make mention of the WET difference for the Winter half of the year. We took the SUVs out a month ago in Galveston at 35 degrees with 19+ mph wind and my shoes hardly even got wet FWIW.

What year was your fxho? I'm trying to decide if I should go with the suv or a newer 12+ fxho... How reliable is that old carbureted two stroke?

Mine was an 07 fxho.

The 1200 non power valve motor seems to be okay for reliability as long as you...or someone else does some due diligence. Carbs must be clean, pressure tested for leaks and should be popoff adjusted to 55psi each.

Premix seems to be the preferred method of many for the fuel/oil portion, just always carry an extra set of spark plugs in case they foul due to lots of low throttle/idle time.

I always pull my gas tanks when I get them, rinse them out clean, dry and start over fresh. Doesnt hurt to replace the fuel li es on these old dogs as well unless u trust the fuel treatment habits of the previous owner.

That being said...the 1200 motor is a violent shaker! It is LOUD and obnoxious but it is what it is.

A few people out there have abandoned the 1200 motor and threw a 4 stroke motor in instead. Look up SUV conversion and grab a 12 pack to read through them all. Definitely the way to go if u have the time and skills or an extra 4 stroke motor and about $3k to have it done for u.

Who would you suggest around Houston to do the work? I would want it to be utterly reliable if I did a 4t conversion. At least I would know the old 2 stroke wasn't whacked and Jimmy rigged in there to get it to work.

+1
    get the suv and put the fx power plant and you have the best of both worlds

I tend to agree with yamacruiser. An fxho donor seems to be a nice choice and as far as who, thats a no brainer.........WFO. He has his shop on the SW side of 610 around Bellaire. Im sure he'll do it and may be able to locate the donor. I've called him before on it but I keep balking because by the time I find a ski for the donor, I always hate to destroy it to make a donor out of it. Why cant one of these 100 foot pines just drop across the nose of someones FXHO or SHO for me!

Send him a PM. He's on here all the time.

When it comes time for an aluminum fishing rack...another nobrainer. Trey from Aluminum Outfitters. He can crank a full custom rack out Iin 1 day to have it sent off to powdercoating to have it done in the color of your choice and his prices are VERY fair.

Aluminum Outfitters

Quote Originally Posted by macGruber View Post
    I tend to agree with yamacruiser. An fxho donor seems to be a nice choice and as far as who, thats a no brainer.........WFO. He has his shop on the SW side of 610 around Bellaire. Im sure he'll do it and may be able to locate the donor. I've called him before on it but I keep balking because by the time I find a ski for the donor, I always hate to destroy it to make a donor out of it. Why cant one of these 100 foot pines just drop across the nose of someones FXHO or SHO for me!

Send him a PM. He's on here all the time.

When it comes time for an aluminum fishing rack...another nobrainer. Trey from Aluminum Outfitters. He can crank a full custom rack out Iin 1 day to have it sent off to powdercoating to have it done in the color of your choice and his prices are VERY fair.
    Do you have the contact info for Trey? I live here in Houston and would like a rack for my SUV.

Last time I spoke to Trey he was stopping any work done one PWC's but feel free to give him a call.

(281) 787-3039

+1
    SUV with FXHO! The cat's meow!!

Thread Information