+1

RFI MPEM Starter timer?

I am trying to resurrect an old 99 GTX RFI with 787 engine. Bought not running. Had to put in a new crank. New battery. No beep on the key, but I do get a beep, fuel pump comes on for a brief moment when I press start button. No power to starter side of the solenoid. Checked the switch of the solenoid, but my meter would read voltage on the positive side. It changes voltage but shuts off even when I hold the start button down. Does the MPEM have a time and shuts voltage to the solenoid after a few seconds if it doesn't sense an engine turning over? I need to get an old analog VOM and see if the needle will swing.
    I am trying to test to see if I get voltage from the MPEM.

Gauge does not come on. I suspect it is broken. I've had solenoid click a few times, but cant get it to repeat. New battery... charged and shows 12.8v.

+1
    It sounds like the MPEM is not recognizing the Lanyard. Either the DESS post is bad or you have the wrong Lanyard.

+1
    No beep on the key means that there is either a bad Dess Post, or faulty wiring on the way to it. You have some type of activity, so there is good signs that the MPEM is OK. It should beep 2 times when the dess is working and the key is correct. If it's the wrong key then you should get one long beep on the key.

Check the dess post... Black wire to black/yellow from the dess post, should be closed circuit when the key is on the post.

+1
    OK. Replaced beeper and now get the 2 beeps. Also found the solenoid was bad. When I replaced it, it now gives a constant 12 volts for as long as the button is pushed. So you answer my own question, No there is not a timer built into the MPEM if you hold the start button down. Thanks for the help. No on to rebuilding the starter as I now get 12 volts out the starter side of the solenoid, but no starter engaging. This thing is starting to put me in the negative side of break even. HA!

Thread Information