Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yet another "What PWC should I get?" Thread - Newb

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums and decided to join after researching PWC's for the past couple of weeks. My apologies for yet another "What PWC should I get?" thread but after all of my searching, I've found that you chaps have given great advice. I haven't found any new information regarding my question since late 2013 and I'm looking for an updated response from the PWC demographic.

I'm in the market to buy a new PWC which I will use solely on the lake. Though my lake gets a little choppy from time to time it doesn't bother me in the slightest so comfort is last in my "want" list behind handling, performance, and reliability.

There is a twist however to this performance I crave......I am looking for a naturally aspirated (and I will not be considering supercharged crafts at all) craft from either Yamaha, Sea Doo, or Kawasaki. I want the fastest, best handling, exciting, naturally aspirated PWC. I realize some of you may have a o.O face going on when I hold performance so high (without even looking at superchargers) but the fact of the matter is that I am a incredibly streamlined and practical person. Hahahaha. I don't want to ever have the hassle of rebuilding my supercharger or having to worry about its condition at all. I understand that other things can go wrong on a PWC but I just don't want to ever deal with that headache. (and yes I know what I'm missing).

SO! I have my eyes set on the 2014 Yamaha FX HO (or should I be looking at the VXR??) and the GTI 155 limited (I like those extra goodies). I am open to any brand but I want to make it clear I am looking for the pinnacle performance, handling, naturally aspirated PWC that money can buy (as price is not a factor at all).

I'll post this to the three general discussions of each manufacturer page (Moderators, please let me know if this is a violation and I'll delete the threads asap!).

I'm really excited to get into the PWC world and share my experiences with you all for the foreseeable future!

+1
    As I stated in your thread in the Yamaha section.
    There are only two performance crafts in the NA world.
    The Yamaha VXR and the Kawasaki STX 15F
    Both with minimal mods will be very close in speed. The VXR will be slightly faster on flat calm waters. As soon as you hit the first boat wake the 15F will be faster and more comfortable. Eash has a positive over the other but these are the ones to look at.
    The 2014 STX 15F is also one of the best looking skis on the market.

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    STX-R with some small mods.

Mine, put back to stock, took off almost as quick as a stock FZR (nothing in it) and was only a tad slower. It was quicker in every aspect to a GTI and 15F (not sure about the VXR).

They are cheap, and when you want more later you can sell it and not lose to much money.

Cheers.

Interesting. The more I read into the 15f and VXR the more it seems to fit into sporty for what it's worth. I will have to look further into these two crafts. Thanks for your insights!

+1
    Yes they are both the sporty NA models.
    There is nothing I can say why you should buy one over the other. Both are very reliable. Both can run on any gas. The VXR has more modification possibilities BUT you then remove the reliability. The 15F has been around for years.

You mention Handling, performance, and reliability
    Handling- The VXR is more nimble, the 15F is more stable. If on your lake there is any chop what so ever the 15 is the ski to have

Performance- The VXR out the box has a noticable top speed advantage. With very few bolt on parts that do not void your warranty the 15F is running the same speed and handles better. (15F $9699, VXR $11,699) With that $2000 difference you will have money left over after you have done what is needed to be just as fast as the VXR with a better ride.

Reliability- As far as the engines, both are equal. The only difference in reliability I can mention is in the hull Material. The Kawasaki is a solid hull hence the higher weight. You can research the issues with the Nano excel hull material of the Yamaha here on the forum. Yes it is light but that sacrifices strength and if you crack the hull it is just about impossible to repair. It can be done but it will not be done at your local glass shop.

Nano hulls CAN be repairs. Just not with the standard lay meathod most people use today.

I'd go with the VXR for practicality sake. You will find more Yamaha mechanics then you will with kawi. Plus you have a lot more after market parts. Your Ski will be just as reliable as it was before. Change the oil and keep the spark plugs fresh and you'll drive that for 250+ hours without just a few basic things. Plus they are doing dealer financing/lease now as well.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabsy View Post
    SO! I have my eyes set on the 2014 Yamaha FX HO (or should I be looking at the VXR??) and the GTI 155 limited (I like those extra goodies).
    I believe the Kawa equivalent to a FX HO is the Ultra LX. And then like lasportsman said, Yamaha VXR and the Kawasaki STX 15F are equivalent.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    You will find more Yamaha mechanics then you will with kawi.
    Seems more like a reason to go Kawasaki...

9. +1 by:

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    I have had both the 15f and I currently own a VXs.....I put @ 260 hours on my 2006 15f with no problems that werent self induced, currently at @255 hours on my VXs with no problems that werent self induced...with that being said (I hate that saying, lol) with both skis having minor mods, air intake, freeflow exhaust,I put a R&D rideplate on the 15f, I still have the stock ride plate on the VXs..... as for performance I would take the VXs for my type of riding, lake riding with some weekend boat chop over the 15f, even though the new 2014 15f is a good looking ski.... my 15f would run @ 66 mph, My Vxs runs @ 69 mph...FWIW

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    What is holeshot like on both, has anyone ran both together.

I've only setup a race for a VXR (two actually) and GTI. The VXR was quicker in every aspect, but the GTI had better hookup (the VXR's bounced like it needed a better grate).

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information