Msx150 fresh water flush did it put water in my oil ?

Hey i didnt start my motor and had the hose running now have water in my oil

Damn, you Probably blew your head gasket.

Na I don't think so the ski was cold and hasn't been run in a while just finished changing all the oil turned the hose on for a minute or so turned it all off and turned the motor over a few times but not starting then found fresh water in my oil

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sfaulkner View Post
    Na I don't think so the ski was cold and hasn't been run in a while just finished changing all the oil turned the hose on for a minute or so turned it all off and turned the motor over a few times but not starting then found fresh water in my oil
    Is this machine new to you?

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk!

Is this a new ski to you? What's the history on it? Did you ever have water in the oil issues previously?

You didn't blow the head gasket because you turned on flush water prior to starting. How long did you have the water running for before you started the engine? You did eventually start the engine, right? Did you turn the garden hose on full blast at the spigot?

If you've never had oil contamination issue previously... the most likely cause is the big round oil tank. This hold the oil... but also has an outer water jacket that circulates through it to help keep the oil temps in check. There is a big o-ring that seals the top to bottom halves of the tank that are common leak point from the raw water jacket to the oil chamber inside.

Drain the oil... using the pulled hose and starter pumping trick (spark plugs out)... then you can pull the tank out of the craft. It's easier to test on the bench. Plug either water port and pressurize the other... 30psi should be plenty of pressure to determine if it's leaking into the oil chamber. If it holds pressure... then it's good.

Randy at Weber Power sells a highly recommended oil tank upgrade. The newer plastic designs are much better than the old stock ones.

Let us know what you find!

Cheers!

Would also like to add... this was my 800th post!!! Huzzah!
    Last edited by ripcuda; 01-21-2014 at 12:08 PM. Reason: My 800th post!!!

Congrats on the 800th buddy
    yeah I just replaced the oil tank with a new one and was trying to flush all the oil out of my fresh water system
    completely forgetting to start the ski at all
    am new to this sort of ski so hopefully I didn't mess it up to bad

+1
    Ah... ouch. How long did you run the hose?

Have you started it since then?

I wouldn't worry about any oil in the fresh water system. That will clean itself out in short order once you run it in the water.

Now water in the oil... that contamination is important to stop and remove... promptly.

So did you have water in the oil before the oil tank replacement? Is that why you got the new one?

It often takes multiple oil changes to fully get all traces of moisture out of the oil. So if you see water in the oil, it *could* be left over traces from the original problem. This is usually seen as foam/milky oil on dipstick after running it again.

After finding the leak point and fixing it, I'd fill the oil with Rotella T 15w-40... the cheap non-syn diesel oil. Then run it up to temperature... on the water is better than on the hose. Don't flog it... you're just wanting to get the engine up to full operating temp for a while to burn of the moisture in the oil. Then cool and drain... and repeat as necessary until the oil is clear. Then drain and put in the expensive Mobil 1 15w-50.

If you fear flooding the engine... you could pull the plugs and try to see down in the cylinders (not easy... deep well plugs)... or poke a rolled up paper towel in there and see if it absorbs any moisture from down in the cylinder. That would be pretty telling. You could also pop the exhaust to waterbox rubber coupler... and see how much water spews out (whatever spill out... you can tip the ski and drain out the back). Just some ideas. Either way... get that engine started ASAP (after confirming the cylinders aren't flooded with water cause of the hydro-lock possibility).

Cheers!

Thanks guys really appreciated pretty sure it was because I had the hose on

Thread Information