Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Riva open loop and its 8650 limit

I'm assuming they set this limit because that's what they tested it at and it's not a mechanical restriction. I'd like to verify this. As long as I'm data logging and my temps are good I should be fine. If my temps start to rise I'll restrict water or put a pressure relief in depending on what I need to do.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    I'm assuming they set this limit because that's what they tested it at and it's not a mechanical restriction. I'd like to verify this. As long as I'm data logging and my temps are good I should be fine. If my temps start to rise I'll restrict water or put a pressure relief in depending on what I need to do.
    The 8650 RPM is from the limiter set on Riva ECU's... it's not by far a limit of the cooling capacity on the open loop cooling kit. There are guys running 9500+ RPM with a Riva open loop cooling kit and the engine cools just fine.

3. +1 by:

+1
    that's a good thing cuz I just bought the kit from you Open loop plate is next.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    that's a good thing cuz I just bought the kit from you Open loop plate is next.
    I have your order, thank you bro!

+1
    Great kit

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	321624

One remaining question about this installation. On my 05 RXT I come out of the transom into the GROCO then T off into my IC and run the other line from the T to the exhaust. The IC dumps through a 3/4 fitting in the OPAS blockoff. The performance is outstanding as is.

I want to T from the pump feed right off the transom and keep my IC/GROCO/Exhaust line as is. From the other line I now have in the transom I would split that and run one into the oil cooler and the other to the billet water pump cover.

Does anyone see any issues with this? I wouldn't run their 3/4 bypass since my IC dump is essentially that. I'll dump the oil cooler and water post T-Stat in the head through one of the factory overboards. I included the most relevant diagram from Riva

+1
    I think the 8650 limit is in regards to the IC. Riva wants you to run a restrictor to keep the pressure down. I am running around 8900 with no restrictor with the GEN3...anyone else have any more info on the part required Riva is referring to?

+1
    My IC line is 3/4 as is the exhaust mani line. The IC is 3/4 I/O as is its dump. I won't have pressure issues.

Right now I only get a decently steady stream of water from the pisser at about 8300rpm+. TO me, pisser pressure is a good sign of system pressure

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoMite View Post
    I think the 8650 limit is in regards to the IC. Riva wants you to run a restrictor to keep the pressure down. I am running around 8900 with no restrictor with the GEN3...anyone else have any more info on the part required Riva is referring to?
    +1
    Riva wants the water restricted going to the IC due to pressure. I have mine from the pump to the groco to the IC. Should I restrict the water to the IC? The groco is probably doing that.

+1
    It depends on how much you're dumping overboard. The IC pisser line is a great way to tell how much pressure there is.

BTW if you look @ the pic it's more efficient the way I am planning on doing it. Direct dump the IC line and splice in the "post T-stat" to the IC dump. T after the groco somewhere and run the extra line right into the water pump housing. Everything gets its own cool water except for the oil cooler which cools post exhaust manifold.
    Last edited by imp0ster; 01-21-2014 at 05:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information