Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What's everyone normal day like for the premix guys

im buying a 02 xlt1200 that has the oil pump removed.. i am trying to get a grasp of how everyone is fueling and mixing..

do you fill the tank full of fuel then throw the oil in or how are you doing it?

+1
    Get yourself some 5 gallon fuel jugs and a ratio rite oil cup or mixing bottle.

http://www.highlifter.com/p-995-rrc-1.aspx

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxima-Quick...-/281017264172

Decide the proper mixture and put that amount in your cans first (usually 40:1 mix), then on your way to the water, stop and fill your cans with fuel (exactly 5 gallons)

On your way to ride, the fuel and oil will mix in the jugs. Before you put in the water, fill the craft with premixed fuel, and you are good to go

+1
    When I had my GPR I would add oil to the tank and buy gas in 5 gallon increments and fill up a 5 gallon jug. Buy 15 gallons for a typical ride.

So, before a ride I would add oil and 10 gallons of gas directly in the ski. Fill up a 5 gallon jug and top off the ski with it.

On the water fueling I would measure up oil for 5 gallons of fuel each and put it in small Gatorade bottles.

Basically, you buy fuel and fill based on quantity and not by dollar amount.
    Good luck! You get used to it and it really becomes a non issue

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Decide the proper mixture and put that amount in your cans first (usually 40:1 mix), then on your way to the water, stop and fill your cans with fuel (exactly 5 gallons)

On your way to ride, the fuel and oil will mix in the jugs. Before you put in the water, fill the craft with premixed fuel, and you are good to go
    I do not use pre-mixed fuel but others have reported occasions when they simply poured all the oil into the fuel container and it did not fully mix into the fuel before they began riding.

An alternative mixing method is to put maybe 1/2 gallon or so of gasoline into the large fuel jug, then pour in the correct oil amount (for the five gallons). Close the fuel jug, then shake it vigorously for a minute or so.

Then add the remaining gasoline to bring it up to five gallons.

By first diluting the oil with a small amount of gasoline you are ensuring the oil blob does not just sit on the bottom of the gas jug or only partially mix into the fuel. Once well diluted into the first 1/2 gallon, the oil will more easily mix into the rest of the gasoline.

Shake the now 'full' fuel container as best you can. It is ready for use.

Pre-mixed fuel is almost always more effort than oil injection. The guys that have been doing pre-mix for years have found various ways to streamline their process but each case is a little different. Fuel jugs carried on the trailer will bounce and mix better than fuel jugs in the tow vehicle, for example. A short ride from gas station to launch ramp will have less stirring effect than a longer drive.

If you do not want to use multiple large fuel jugs, then what?
    Consider using one small sized jug (a gallon or two). Half fill it with fuel, then add the total amount of oil needed for the full amount of gasoline you will be buying (say 10 gallons). Shake well, then add that oil heavy mixture to the watercraft fuel tank.

Next add the remaining 9.5 gallons (the first half gallon was in the small jug) directly into the watercraft.

Hopefully on the bouncy trailer ride between gas station and launch ramp the 9.5 gallons of raw gasoline mixes completely with the oil already in the fuel tank.

It is critical to always get the math right when calculating how much oil you need to add. Too much oil will result in excessive exhaust smoke and possible contamination of spark plugs. Too little oil risks engine damage from inadequate lubrication.

Work out a method that makes sense for you, and be consistent.

+1
    I carry 32 oz plastic bottles with the oil already measured into them. 1 bottle for 10 gallons or 1/2 for 5 gallons. Seems to work well. I just fill up with either 10 or 5 gallons when on the water.

+1
    The big thing to remember is that If you put gas in your ski then add oil ...and you ride some you will never be sure of really how much gas is still in the tank ... if you do this a few times ... before long you get your oil to gas mix all out of wack, sorta speak. As stated earlier ... to avoid this issue just always mix your oil & gas in your 5 gal jug .. then always use it to fill tank. Then it will not matter how much gas you used on your last ride or how much is remaining in your ski ... the ratio will always be correct. Good Luck

7. +1 by:

+1
    That would work for folks that hang around where the cans are. However If you are like me and the folks I ride with we are on 100 plus miles trips and have no choice but to gas up on the water. If you ALWAYS put the gas in in 5 gallon increments along with the appropriate amount for 5 gallons then the tank will always contain the correct mixture. Just do it the same way everytime and you will be good. Create a system that works for you.

+1
    Yeah, John ..... you r-right that does work for those of you that take long trips. Good advice.

+1
    I fill up my tank at the gas station within 1/2 gal increments and add the proper amount of oil.
    I keep a chart with me that tells me the amount of oil for every 1/2 gallon increment for my 36 to 1 mixture ratio

sounds like a lot of work! lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information