Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

IJSBA Homologates 2014 Sea-Doo Spark

OK, here’s one that we’re not too sure what to think of. First, it’s become pretty obvious that Sea-Doo isn’t exactly elated with the initial reception of the Spark – at least when it’s related to sales. While the Spark is selling and is generating absurd levels of attention from the PWC community, Sea-Doo was really hoping that it would be the misplaced Y-generation millennials snatching up the first rounds of Sparks.

Here’s the problem: millennials are broke. They live with their parents until they’re 30. Most would rather own a new iPad than a car. Heck, they can’t even afford the “Affordable Health Care” they voted for. They’re drowning in school loans (that Bachelor of Arts focusing on early 20th Century Expatriate American Authors isn’t cheap). Oh, and consequently, their credit scores are abysmally low, meaning they can’t get OK’ed for financing through BRP.

Click to Read More...
    Last edited by Rustymuscle; 01-26-2014 at 09:32 AM.

+1
    I'm 24, have my own place, a job in advertising for a major company in NYC and have good credit so I don't know if I agree with everything you have there. I am broke though, so I do agree with that and the fact most millennials care more about a car or iPad. My question though is how many millennials actually know about the spark? I'm willing to bet the majority of millennials couldn't couldn't Identify a model/make of a ski if it hit them in the face. I'm not sure how much money BRP has spent marketing the spark or where they are spending it but I'm curious to know. Maybe when I get back in the office on monday I will run a competitive report on BRP and see what properties/model they are spending their money on to see if they are even reaching any millennials.

Edit: Keep up the good work by the way, this industry severely lacks good content!

3. +1 by:

+1
    Almost, you're 100-percent right. The millennials (and "young marrieds") that Sea-Doo is trying to introduce the Spark and PWC-ownership to as a whole are generally unaware that the Spark even exists. And because so many millennials are urbanites, owning and storing a PWC is nearly out of question - almost as much as owning a car.

BRP's marketing department aren't a bunch of fools by any means, but it's difficult to imagine a bunch of mustachioed hipsters riding their Sparks around the borough with their scarves flapping ironically in the wind.

No, the grievance I have is that if BRP was purposely targeting the millennial generation - who are notably absurdly broke - why hasn't it established a plausible route to ownership via certified financing options and loan programs? Why not a leasing program similar to Yamaha?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Almost View Post
    Edit: Keep up the good work by the way, this industry severely lacks good content!
    +1 keep up the good work.

I'm a "Dudes in the[re] 40′s and 50′s who have been jonesiní for a new mini-runabout that rides like their old WaveBlaster from 20-years-ago"

I'm intrigued by the spark and yes, I miss my X4 (97 spx and others). While the cost is great it's place in my water is in question.
    I live on a large river and 10-15 years ago I could ride an X4 with the Ultra 150's, XPL's and gpr's of the time. Today with FZ, RXP/T, and Ultra Whales covering tremendous miles you could never keep up. That's not to mention my now larger size.

Also, I remember the 1997 XP. is there a Spark Limited planned for 2015/16 ?
    -a new lower with a 1300 (triple ACE) and larger pump tunnel shouldn't take a lot of re-tooling.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    ... displaced Y-generation millennials ...
    Please clarify what 'displaced' means in this context?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Thank you. That should say "misplaced." The post and article have been corrected.

And as to Steach's query, I haven't heard nor anticipate any different versions of the Spark for a couple of years - that is, aside from the possibility of new colors, graphic kits and accessories.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Thank you. That should say "misplaced." The post and article have been corrected.

So they are 'missing' from the dealer showrooms, hence misplaced?

Did BRP really expect significant numbers of new to the sport buyers to suddenly appear when the Spark was only launched (or actually available for sale) very late in the year?

I have no idea how BRP intends to promote and expand their buyer demographics come 2014 springtime in the US, but somehow I would not be surprised if it takes a full 2014 selling season for the Spark to even appear on the radar of a larger portion of the younger demographics. So they may kick the tires during next winter's boat shows, or wait until the warm weather in 2015...

Banned User
    +1
    I agree. it may take some time for the word to get out to people outside of the PWC world that the Sparks even exist and are somewhat affordable.

+1
    Like your other thread on the" decline of PWC sales" BRP sees the equation:

In 1995 200,000 units sold / 750,000 registered avg. price msrp around $7000 ++

In 2013 29,000 units sold/ 1.3M registered avg. price msrp around $13,000 ++

NMMR stats

i don't believe it's the I pad textaholic Crowd there after, there are trying to appeal to the masses with spendable cash to throw around on a toy with lower fuel usage , because for $13-14K OTD just would spend somewhere else .

People are skiing more than ever ,just not buying new ones as EBay and Craigslist give buyers a chance to buy a slightly used that are gonna use sparingly..

But if a new product is affordable as this Spark certainly is it could be the new trend that all the manufactures will follow..

Kawasaki Ultra 50 ?????

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    Like your other thread on the" decline of PWC sales" BRP sees the equation:

In 1995 200,000 units sold / 750,000 registered avg. price msrp around $7000 ++

In 2013 29,000 units sold/ 1.3M registered avg. price msrp around $13,000 ++

NMMR stats

i don't believe it's the I pad textaholic Crowd there after, there are trying to appeal to the masses with spendable cash to throw around on a toy with lower fuel usage , because for $13-14K OTD just would spend somewhere else .

People are skiing more than ever ,just not buying new ones as EBay and Craigslist give buyers a chance to buy a slightly used that are gonna use sparingly..

But if a new product is affordable as this Spark certainly is it could be the new trend that all the manufactures will follow..

Kawasaki Ultra 50 ?????
    What people keep talking about is the base model spark. Lets look at the one that is actually more appealing to the public. The one that most will actually purchase. It is not really much cheaper than the Kawasaki 15F. Now compare those two units. 90hp to 160. A "3" seater to an actual 3 seater. A plastic hull to a solid hull. Twice the fuel capacity also. Out on the water it is hard enough finding fuel within the range of the normal skis. Both entry level skis but quite a difference in performance. People will gladly have a 15F as their primary ski. I don't see the spark being that for long. I just don't really see the big draw to an informed buyer also if they can not afford to buy a ski to upgrade when they get tired of the spark they would buy one they can keep for a while. This is no different than buying a scooter when you are in the market for a motorcycle. Yes the scooters are cheaper but how many do we actually see on the road. Heck how many 250cc bikes do we see on the road?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information