Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Powder coater ruined my intercooler...

I was currently relocating my intercooler to the rear of my ski. While I had everything apart I decided to get mine powder coated wrinkle black. I asked the sandblaster to please make sure no debris got inside the core, he assured me that he has done so many in the past that he would make sure to seal it all off. A few days later I picked it up, (looks great from the outside) but the inside looked like a sandbox! I shook out most and ran the hose through the intercooler to attempt to get all the sand out, but no luck. Last night I started getting a bit adventurous in an attempt to remove all the debris... so far I have tried:

1) Intercooler facing upwards running water from one inlet out the other. (3+ hours)
    2) Laying it on its side running water straight through the core to the other side (by using a 90 degree elbow) (2 hours)
    3) Putting hot water within, shaking and then pouring out
    4) Running my shop vacuum on one side to try and "suck" debris out
    5) Running my vacuum in reverse to "push" the debris out
    6) ______ tonight i am going to try and use air from my compressor, maybe this has more power to push it out...

Does anyone have any more ideas? the way this is now I should just throw it in the trash, itll ruin my ski if put on now...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by My09RXPX View Post
    Does anyone have any more ideas? .

Go and kick the sandblaster dude in the nuts.
    It may not help, but you will feel alot better.

Banned User
    +1
    Where is the sand? In the air passage or water passage?

If its water passage, let it dry out and hit it with a vacuum PUSHING air, using the outlet side like on a shop vac...Do this while rotating it in a 360 degree fashion...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Where is the sand? In the air passage or water passage?

If its water passage, let it dry out and hit it with a vacuum PUSHING air, using the outlet side like on a shop vac...Do this while rotating it in a 360 degree fashion...
    Its in the air passage, all within the core...

+1
    I would think to keep flushing it with water. It will take awhile, but thats what I would do.

After I kicked the sandblaster dude in the nuts.

+1
    Pistons dont like sand.

You will be best to let it dry out and use high flow air rather than water or high pressure air. Stop periodically and give it a good shake out . It may also to do your funial clean out with a stocking on the outlet so you can visually inspect if anything is coming out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    Pistons dont like sand.
    +1
    if it's on the air side, how will you ever know it's all out? Can't risk it. You'll destroy your motor. JMHO

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Toss it in the ski, hook up the SC hose to it.... but route a temporary hose from the outlet to the outside of the engine compartment (seat off). Throw that bitch in the water, and give it hell for 20 minutes or so..... that charger at 6800 engine rpm (or whatever it will be with no boost) will blow that crap out.

10. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyRXP View Post
    Toss it in the ski, hook up the SC hose to it.... but route a temporary hose from the outlet to the outside of the engine compartment (seat off). Throw that bitch in the water, and give it hell for 20 minutes or so..... that charger at 6800 engine rpm (or whatever it will be with no boost) will blow that crap out.
    that was an idea i was thinking about as well... but i think im going to take Troy's advice. Kick the sandblaster in the nuts, and buy a new Fizzle F1000.
    Anyone who wants to buy a sand-ridden powder coated intercooler pm me lol - im done trying to clean this sucker out. Thanks for the help

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information